Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,165

1 members and 3,164 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Do mice kill each other?

The ONLY two times I had an issue with feeding was when I left home for four days. The person in charge of feeding and watering my mice... well... didn't. I came home to 20 dead mice, some all that were left were their spines. They did not have water or food so it was understandable why they did what they did.

The second time, I had them a wee bit over crowded, But I do not think that is your case. Other than that the only time I would see them fighting is either when introducing a new mouse to the colony, or if males were competing. Did these two mice come from different tanks? Where they both males?
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yes, mice can and will kill each other.

However, I doubt that is what happened in this case. I believe you live in the same general area I do (NoVA). The temperature on the date you posted this got up to 89F, and the "feels like" was WAY hotter than that. Plenty hot enough for a car left in the sun to have reached lethal temperatures. You are probably lucky they didn't both die in the heat.

As far as the eaten eyeballs, it was probably as a source of moisture for the surviving mouse to try to deal with the heat.

Now, I'll admit I left my newly purchased snakes in the car on that same day. But it was after the sun was almost down, rain had started so temps had dropped and the sun wasn't shining anyway, and it was for a brief stop. If you left the mice in the car in similar conditions, I'd go back to the original theory of one killing the other.
    Casey

Thanks

Alot of times mice, and rats, will kill each other if they feel one is sick. Even with proper food and water they will kill it and eat it, and make a nice little 'art' exibit out of the body.
    Mice are evil, though. Like little angry Ferretts. I get them for my BP for the same reason, picky eaters... I also get hoppers for my Hognose. They will just kill whatever they can. If my BP is not interested and i have two live hoppers in the feeder they will kill each other out of pure boredom.
    Rats are much smarter but still do the same thing. Usually it's a personality thing but mice have one personality, EVIL!
    Also, keep in mine most feeders are largely inbred and will suffer from ALOT of mental and physical damages because of it. Homoicidal Canibalism can be one of them.
    (i named one of my rats Hannibal because he ate his little sister two days after i got them)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12