Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,086

0 members and 3,086 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Minimum Number Of Posts Before Letting Someone Post In For Sale Section

Howabout personnal responsibility? If your afraid of being scammed, make the effort to remove the possibility yourself. relying on rules means more work for the forums wasted keeping the honest from placing ads, and there's always ways for scammers to slip through the cracks and scam you if you keep your gaurd down relying on "rules" to keep you safe.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerhart View Post
    Bravo! Well said Mark! The ever dreaded post-whore!

...uh oh! Does this count as one of those "me too" replies?
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyOhh View Post
    LOL

Hehehehehee
    You guys are incorrigible....

Thanks

I also think it's fine the way it is, where are the all the problems that would cause the need for such a change to a system that is already working good?

Research your seller, do the leg work, ask them questions etc. Get opinions from those you respect before you buy if need be....

Making Restrictions???? for what, make it harder for good people to post in the for sale section.... that's pretty unfair. Shouldn't good people be encouraged to the site, not restricted?

Sure, you're going to get a few bad apples along the way, throw em away.... you'll still be left with a bucket full of good ones!
    Scott Collien

Sputnik's Reptiles

Thanks

no offense to those opposed, but i think it's a bit idealistic to think that you can just do the leg work and avoid getting scammed. people that scam are good at what they do. manipulation is a powerful tool for these people and they have mastered it from what i see and hear... how else could someone get convinced to send out stock without receiving money first??
    i think it'd be a simple rule that would be worth it if even one person was saved from getting ripped off.

this would also be positive in a second way because it would encourage more people to post and get involved in this community.
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I think it's a bad idea. Scamers will always be one step ahead of the honest folks. If I had reservations about a seller (which we all should) I would ask everyone on this site if they knew them or had any experience with them. If no one commented I would just move on. Posting frequently on BP.net does not automatically make someone an honest person!!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Vestrand View Post
    no offense to those opposed, but i think it's a bit idealistic to think that you can just do the leg work and avoid getting scammed. people that scam are good at what they do. manipulation is a powerful tool for these people and they have mastered it from what i see and hear... how else could someone get convinced to send out stock without receiving money first??
    i think it'd be a simple rule that would be worth it if even one person was saved from getting ripped off.

this would also be positive in a second way because it would encourage more people to post and get involved in this community.
    I agree with it being idealistic to think one can always avoid being scammed by being careful. Unfortunately, I also think the same is true for believing that something along the lines of a 500 post requirement would always avoid people being scammed. As you point out, people that scam are good at what they do.

I disagree that it would be "worth it". It might or might not save anyone from getting scammed. But it also might turn legitimate, honest people away from bp.net, so we lose them and the chance to purchase their animals.
    Casey

Thanks

i should also have pointed out that i agree with most that 500 is way too high... it's hard enough to put a number on it, but i can tell you that it took me a long time to reach 500 posts! i've been here 3 years and only have 900+.
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kc261 View Post

I disagree that it would be "worth it". It might or might not save anyone from getting scammed. But it also might turn legitimate, honest people away from bp.net, so we lose them and the chance to purchase their animals.
    I think it would be off putting, they'll go to other forums that don't have hurdles.... which is a loss for this site. I don't see a big problem with scamming here so why change it?
    Scott Collien

Sputnik's Reptiles

Registered User Envied Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

My opinion: Let whoever wants post as much as they want with no prerequirements. Ive been a member of a few other forums for over three years and dont have more than 300 posts total in that time span. Yet some kids who bought a ball or gecko from the local petco have that many posts in a month. Quality (posts) and quantity are two different things. If the mods are aware someone is scamming then of course they should pull the ads and ban the seller. If someone isnt well know its still possible they produced a quality animal and should be able to post/ sell it without any special rules. Buyers can ask sellers questions, check the BOI, etc etc, let them decide how they want to spend their money with the most available(legitimate) options).
    --- enviedreptiles.com ---

Thanks

i visit this site almost daily and dont post very much. this site has been very helpful in finding out information that i need by looking at old posts. as a newbie to the snake world i have been doing more reading of old post on topics that have come up over and over.

i dont see nothing wrong with a 1-2 month probation period before you can post in the classifieds. you need to think about the new people who only have 1 or 2 posts purchasing form the people with only one post in the classifieds. the new people may not know to do research on the seller.

my proposal
    if someone can add a sticky to the top of the classifieds to tell users some general steps and where to go to find history or information on the seller it will at least make a new person aware of what to do before deciding to make a purchase of a snake over the internet. it could be locked or open for others to post on what they do to decide to make a purchase over the internet.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast