Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,354

1 members and 3,353 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hermit Crabs

Thanks

Re: Hermit Crabs

I get really tired of seeing hermit crabs thought of as "throw-away pets". They can live for like 20 years if taken care of properly. They really shouldn't even be taken out of the tank for more than a few minutes because the humidity and temperature changes from inside the tank to outside of it are so drastic. I provide 80%+ humidity and temps are 75 at night, and go up to 80 during the day. That's achieved by a combination of four different light bulbs that rotate between two of those reptile lamps. I have a *just* UV bulb - no heat, just UV. I have a basking lamp, I have a black light and I have an infrared light. If one bulb isn't keeping it hot enough, I turn on a second. Or vice versa. The humidity is kept up by using the "foil on the lid" technique, as well as sprinkling 1 cup of salt water all over the soil (small amounts at a time so as not to drown anybody sleeping under there) whenever the humidty gets to 75%.

Thanks

That's really cool! I am ashamed to admit I drowned my hermit crabs when I was a child. My best friend and I got hermit crabs as pets, and the lady at the pet store told her that hermit crabs like to swim.

So, we took them swimming in the sink. My mother found out and scolded me, but I KNEW my best friend was right, so we continued to let them swim.

They died eventually after a couple months of childhood hell from me, my brother and my best friend.

Kids really shouldn't have small pets.

Thanks

Oh my gosh, that's absolutely terrible! It's funny, but in a very morbid way. I'm not sure if it's good or bad that I can find humor in that.

There is a lot of very wrong information out there about hermit crabs. I make it a point to say something whenever I see them in bad conditions, but so often my comments (which could save companies quite a bit of money, and attract more customers once people realize they know what they're doing) fall on deaf ears.

I have to admit, I am guilty of my fair share of hermit crab deaths over the years, mostly to ignorance. But I'm trying to make up for it now, and I still enjoy keeping them just as much.

Thanks

Nice set up!
    Quick question about molting/shedding...how long does it usually take? I've got a buried crab and don't want to disturb it but, well, how long should it stay buried? Not sure if it's dead or alive frankly. ??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12