Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,159

1 members and 3,158 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: My mouse colony... the next chapter

*sigh* No more live pinkies. And this time the only bodies I found were halfway eaten, so I believe they were killed by cannibalism.

I think only those 2 were pregnant from the pet store, so if male mice really can tell if the babies are theirs or not, I should be past that particular hurdle.

I want to add some more females now that I know they won't be too crowded. I have them divided up as 1.2s right now. First find good source, then QT/grow up the new girls... then what? It seems like adding 2 new females to an established group is asking for trouble. Would I be better off shuffling everybody around so nobody feels established and territorial? Or is breaking up established groups just a bad idea? I know the best answer would be to just wait and grow up some babies when I get them, but I'm trying to get the colony producing enough that I won't need to buy more than what I already have in the freezer.

How come kids accidentally breed their pet mice all the time, but it is so hard for people trying to do it? LOL!
    Casey

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I'm not sure how many people are reading this, but I'm enjoying sort of making a journal of my attempts to get a mouse colony going, so I'll keep posting.

I haven't had another litter born yet, but I have another obviously pregnant female who should deliver any day, plus 4 more I think are pregnant but not quite far enough along to be sure. Hopefully at least one of these litters will be more successful than the first 2.

The female who delivered the first litter was found dead a couple days ago. I had not seen anything wrong with her other than her looking a little thin since the litter was born. So who knows what was wrong with her, but it probably explains why she did not seem to make any effort to care for her litter.

I also have a few more I have decided to eliminate from the colony. One has a gimpy leg. It is very slight but the other mice seem to pick on her (which is what made me notice it). Another one keeps having mini-flare-ups of the myco. She'll go days appearing to be fine, then be all sneezy/wheezy again. I also think I'll have to eliminate the mother of the 2nd litter. She has taken to always going in circles to her left. Probably the myco got into her ear, I guess, although she does not have the tilted head I've heard about. She seems to manage ok, but I think if I don't eliminate her now, she'll probably have a long slow decline, because I have observed a few things like she seems to be heading towards the water, but misses, and has to make a complete circle to get back to it because she seems incapable of turning to her right. Poor thing.

Some positive news: one of the breeders we got some snakes from gave us a few of his mice. He didn't have many to spare but it probably represents a big boost in the quality of the genetics in my mouse colony.

Even with these news ones, I'm still running really short on females so I'm working on finding some more good ones.
    Casey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    Yep! But the hog feed I don't understand.. I didn't want free weevils with it! LoL(yes I took it back, ick, ick)
    No feed anywhere should have weasles in it. We have had no issues with weasles but the losers down the street do! What pig feed are you feeding becky? Oh, btw we call weevils weasles.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Ok I'll bite - what do you call weasles?

http://dnr.state.il.us/ORC/WILDLIFE/...ast_weasel.jpg

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    what do you call weasles?
    car salesmen
    My Collection: 3.2 Mojave, 4.9.3 Normal, 1.0 Het Pied, 0.8 Pos. Het Pied

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Since my last post, I've had 3 more litters born. The first was in the same group as the litter that was cannibalized before, and this second litter in that group went the same way. I never caught any of the mice in the act, so I don't know who is doing it.

The second was from one of the ones I got from a BP breeder. That litter seemed to start out really well. They certainly lasted longer than any of my other litters I'd had so far. Then, when they were just under a week old, they were all dead again. It is driving me crazy losing all these baby mice! I don't know if it is related or not, but one of my other males got loose and was wandering around, so I wonder if his presence outside her enclosure freaked that mom out.

The third litter is from the male who got loose. He had only one female, so she is now all by herself. The pinks are about 3 days old and seem to be doing well. Maybe my 5th litter will actually get to grow up?

I also have one more obviously pregnant mouse. She is in with a male and one more female. The trio has been together for long enough I was beginning to wonder if the male was not getting the job done. Maybe that will work to my advantage and they'll work well together raising the babies.
    Casey

Thanks

The first group the has helped themselves to the babies, Feed them off and get another set. From what i have seen the will always do that.

Dont give up! it takes some time but it will come around.

Edited:
    I use a rack system. the buckets are 15x20 and i have 1.5 in each. i leave the colony setup and do not remove the males.
    0.7 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    0.0.1 Sonoran Desert Boa
    0.0.1 Albino Pacman Frog
    1.24 Breeder Rats
    4.8 Breeder ASF's

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I have been keeping up. I thought some of my females was impregnated before the male died but I guess not. Ill get 2 fresh males this weekend and 3 rats

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

I actually seriously considered using hog feed for the price savings...but then discovered that hog feed is EXTREMELY high in copper--high enough to kill other animals, such as sheep, if they eat it. I would recommend caution using hog feed for rodents...if they can handle the copper content, are we sure the snakes can?
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12