Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,324

4 members and 3,320 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poisons

Thanks

Re: Poisons

Quote Originally Posted by qiksilver View Post
    I was gonna leave you be since you seemed psyched with the new digs, but I agree with Jake, real plants are the way to go.

Also again not looking to start anything, but are you gonna keep all 3 together for good?
    I got 3 of them too and was going to keep them together. Is that a bad thing?
    Laurie

Thanks

Laurie, I meant the flightless fruit flies. My darts would eat about 50 per day each. With 3 frogs you'd be going through 1,000 pinheads a week. For my 5 frogs I had 3 containers with a cycle of flightless flies, and they produced enough food for me. It's very cheap and easy. I was also told that the exoskeletins on crickets are a lot harder for frogs to digest. I would give mine occasional pinheads and phoenix worms, but raising the fruit flies was really the only way I would ever keep darts.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

that fat little leuc is awesome!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PythonWallace View Post
    Laurie, I meant the flightless fruit flies. My darts would eat about 50 per day each. With 3 frogs you'd be going through 1,000 pinheads a week. For my 5 frogs I had 3 containers with a cycle of flightless flies, and they produced enough food for me. It's very cheap and easy. I was also told that the exoskeletins on crickets are a lot harder for frogs to digest. I would give mine occasional pinheads and phoenix worms, but raising the fruit flies was really the only way I would ever keep darts.
    Thanks Jake. You scared me there for a second! I was thinking where in the heck would you keep house flies. Now I feel stupid!!!!!

I got the fly kit too but I've not started another culture yet. Where do you keep the flies? Not sure if they need special attention or not. Now that I know you have them either Raul or I will most likely be picking your brain.
    Laurie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PythonWallace View Post
    Forget pinheads, unless you want to breed enough for them. These guys have bigger appetites than anything I've seen. You'll be on the streets if you have to buy enough crix to keep them full. Breed your own flies. No smell, no noise, very little space, great nutrition and practically free. Get a good fly cycle going, and these guys will be easier and cheaper than goldfish.
    Well we got fruit fly cultures goin, got them for the baby mantids!!! So im not too worried!

Quote Originally Posted by marmie View Post
    Thanks Jake. You scared me there for a second! I was thinking where in the heck would you keep house flies. Now I feel stupid!!!!!

I got the fly kit too but I've not started another culture yet. Where do you keep the flies? Not sure if they need special attention or not. Now that I know you have them either Raul or I will most likely be picking your brain.
    I never did anything with my fruit flies, and they reproduced two or three generations before I just fed them all off!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Long View Post
    I never did anything with my fruit flies, and they reproduced two or three generations before I just fed them all off!
    Thanks Pat! I still feel completely ignorant about the frogs and the fly cycle. One container should last me how long? When should I start another culture of flies?

I just looked at the frogs and I think I might have over fed them. Should I be worried? Seems like there are an awful lot of flies in there still and it's been a couple hours. I suppose I won't feed them in the morning.
    Laurie

Thanks

Now today I picked up a National Geographic for kids and they have poison frogs in featured in there. I hope I can ignore them. They are really beautiful but I'm pretty sure that they would require an experts care.
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marmie View Post
    Thanks Pat! I still feel completely ignorant about the frogs and the fly cycle. One container should last me how long? When should I start another culture of flies?

I just looked at the frogs and I think I might have over fed them. Should I be worried? Seems like there are an awful lot of flies in there still and it's been a couple hours. I suppose I won't feed them in the morning.
    They won't eat a ton as babies, but their appetites grow with them. For my 5 frogs I always had 3-4 plastic jars going, and I would start a new batch every 2 weeks. Mine would be cashed after about 5 weeks, but it depends on how much of the mix you use and how fast your cultures are reproducing and eating. If you start a culture with 100 flies it will fill up with flies and the food will be gone a couple of weeks faster than if you start a culture with a dozen flies. Also, the quicker you feed new flies off, the less you have in there to reproduce, so if you are constantly feeding from the same jar it will last longer. It's all stuff you will figure out as you get into it. It's just important to get a good cycle going so you don't run out, because buying food for these beasts can get expensive.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

What kind of plant is that along the floor almost like a substrate?
    very nice frogs BTW.

0.1.1 Ball Python (Bernese, Maxine)
    0.1 Random Cat (Kitty)
    2.0 Terrier (Buzz, Walter)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nootcakes View Post
    What kind of plant is that along the floor almost like a substrate?
    very nice frogs BTW.
    I dont know.....some sort of moss they were sellin with the froggies

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast