Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,241

0 members and 3,241 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

to the half log hide haters

i had a nice size half log hide that i pretty much threw out because everyone in here says there worthless.

i shouldnt listen to everyone.

if you have one of these hides i suggest you put it on the cool side packed with aspen,almost to the top.

DUDE! my lil girl will not come out of it.she has a nice cozy cave hide on the warm side that is pretty much not in use now.i would switch the hides but there is too much aspen for the heat to transfer.

this is just a lil hint to those that bought the log hides and are either not using them or using them empty as i agree there is a lack of security.

its not fun to throw money away and i thought this could ease a few minds

Thanks

Re: to the half log hide haters

the only thing I can see wrong with this is that now she has a favorite hide and might not be thermo regulating..

I had some of those hides and they worked fine, I went to a hobby store and bought a small sheet of balsa wood, I cut it out in a half circle the same size as the hide and stapled it to one end of the hide... They worked well.

But from another stand point, those things cost $10 to $20 each, and when you have 10 snakes and you need 2 hides each thats $200-$400 just in hides, I can go to the dollar store and get all the hides for $20, that would leave me enough money left over to buy a cool new snake..

If your snake likes those hides and you want to use them go for it, I suggest buying another one for the other side of your enclosure though..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

If you have to stuff it with aspen for her to use it... uhm... kinda says a lot doesn't it?

Why not just use an appropriate hide and stuff to your heart's content. At least this way she can still have access to heat.

All this post proves is that, as people say, and the reason they hate half log hides, is that they don't offer security.

Half log hater till the day I die.

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

im just sayin if you spent the money on one,you might as well use it somehow.

lil girl is now chilling under the lamp.snakes arent stupid.when they need to regulate there heat they will.she knows theres a few warm spots and she uses them.just now more under the lamp than the uth.

i guess i misnamed the title a lil bit.im just trying to give a pointer to anyone that has them

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butters420 View Post

lil girl is now chilling under the lamp.snakes arent stupid.when they need to regulate there heat they will.she knows theres a few warm spots and she uses them.just now more under the lamp than the uth.

i guess i misnamed the title a lil bit.im just trying to give a pointer to anyone that has them

Well snakes arent the sharpest tool in the shed either, ever heard of thermal burn? Snakes can sit in one area for a while even if its bad for thier health, it happens... If you like the hides that much then why not have another one?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

sure ive heard of thermal burn and mostly it happens from a uth that is not under control(different thread totally).

i have these snakes as pets and a plastic bowl is not gonna cut it for me.i want my snakes to live in a more natural place than a tub with a dog bowl and 2 bowls as hides.i have nothing against people that do either.its just my choice to make it as real as possible for them.

the point of this thread and ill say it again (shoulda been named differently) is that if you spent money on a log hide,this is an option to use it instead of throwing it away.

Thanks

Hey Ive been telling you all along to use the hide if you want to, i didnt tell you to use plastic bowls. I suggested using two half logs if your going to use them.

And my point of thermal burn was if the snakes were so "smart" why wouldnt they move off of a spot that was hot enough to burn them?

Im glad you found use for your hide, and by all means keep using it, the thing I miss about them the most is they are a great shedding surface...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i gotcha.
    they could be sleeping when being burned????i dunno

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Butters420 View Post

I agree - my rats LOVE their half log hide that they inherited from my first snake!

Thanks

Only thing I do not like about them is that they are almost immpossible to disinfect properly unless you bake them, and that STINKS (literally)!! After a few poos on them they become a breeding ground for bacteria.
    Jenea
    GuardianReptiles.com

"The irrational fear of snakes is the only excuse a grown man has to act like a complete sissy" - Colchicine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast