Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,212

0 members and 3,212 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I need your opinion

Well, reading this whole thread, I kept thinking of points to make in my response- then somebody else said em. So I won't post my opinion (which meshes with most everybody else's) but I will give you a lil piece of advice. Document EVERYTHING. Save screenshots of those Myspace messages to your computer. If you just have it copy and pasted to Word or something, she could come back and say that conversation never happened. If she calls, record the calls if your phone allows you to do so. Like somebody said (I think Jo), document any payments you make. Make sure you have proof.
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

Ahhhh MeMe! What a horrible position your "friend" has put you in. IMO you are way to frigging nice. The only thing you did wrong was try to nicely tell her not to bring her dog.

If I were in your shoes I'd be paranoid that she'd drag me to court and bad mouth me to mutual friends too. That's only because you are a kind and sensitive person and the thought of doing the same to her would never have crossed your mind, just as asking her to compensate you for a vet bill. Beings that you posted both sides of your Myspace messages, it seems to me that she doesn't value your friendship in the least and she's just looking for you to share her pain in paying a huge vet bill.

I'm not a lawyer but I don't see her winning a "small claims" and other than that I don't believe she has any other recourse. Even though you did agree to pay half I still don't think I'd pay but if I did I would make it painful for her. Like maybe skip a day of Starbucks and give her $5.00 a week. Not because I couldn't afford to pay her but because I wouldn't take away from my family to pay for her inconsiderate stupidity.

I don't think I'd pay the vet directly but I would ask for a vet bill. Only because it could be proof down the road that you accepted part of the responsibility.

I also don't feel your dog did anything wrong. Comparing the situation to her biting a child is insane. A dog is a dog and will do dog things no matter how well trained it is. I mean seriously if your dog was at fault for attacking hers then her dog is at fault for not running for cover.

Hey, seriously wouldn't it be funny if a bunch of us sent a check for $5.00, with some snide comment on the memo line like "my dog would have kicked your dogs butt too" or "see what happens when you mess with the big dogs". Okay, now I'm just being mean.

Good luck MeMe and my heart does go out to you! She's lucky you are a good person.
    Laurie

Thanks

I think she brought her dogs over (unannounced), and she needs to take responsibility for that. I think you were way to nice about it as well. I know everyone else has probably said all of this, but it deserves reiterating...
    "The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." - Nietzsche

Thanks

BTW Meme, it's probably a good idea NOT to get your homeowners insurance involved at all, whether you were thinking to or not... I was discussing something like this with a customer at work, his sibling has a pitbull, their homeowners insurance company found out and dropped them for the dog being a liability, "lawsuit waiting to happen", although this particular dog has no history of aggression.
    Jason

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jknudson View Post
    BTW Meme, it's probably a good idea NOT to get your homeowners insurance involved at all, whether you were thinking to or not... I was discussing something like this with a customer at work, his sibling has a pitbull, their homeowners insurance company found out and dropped them for the dog being a liability, "lawsuit waiting to happen", although this particular dog has no history of aggression.
    Great insight- and accurate!! Do not get insurance company involved!! Our ins company has no idea that I own a rottie and pythons and boas. My son's ins co has no idea he owns a pit.

Quite honestly, I am more afraid of the little ankle biters than any other animal!!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

no I don't think you need to take care of half the medical bills. maybe a smaller contribution for good will and karma but as it stands it was in no way your fault. My dog ( black lab) attacked and killed another dog( husky) when it came into our back yard. Earlier on that same husky had EATEN my pet rabbit out of her hutch in my backyard and it had come back for seconds i guess. My dog loved my rabbit and knew that husky had killed her. it was before school and I was eating a pop tart when I heard my dog growling at the door. This was normal because of the many squirrels we have so I let her out not thinking that the huskie was in my back yard again. well as you can probably guess I saw white fur flying and I ran outside just in time to see the husky running, covered in blood, with my dog at his heals. She chased him out of sight of my street and I was calling to her. She was soon galloping back with blood all over her ( his blood she suffered nothing) I put her inside and was secretly happy that my doggie had gotten revenge for my Rabbits death. but when the bus came and we were driving to school, as we turned on the main street I saw the husky lying in the gutter.. My dog had chased him to a busy street and he had gotten hit. of course I felt aweful and being only 13 I felt a tad responsible, but that dog was always getting away from his owners and he was not friendly as he had even attacked some children. the owners kid came to me and said I had stolen their dog and it was all my fault. I was 13 and I was not about to get into the middle of a dog fight before school. I felt bad for them but I felt in my heart that it was karma. That dog took my beloved rabbit away and my dog returned the favor. The people called the police but we were never charged. It was their fault their dog got out and into my yard. My dog was just protecting my house. So I kinda understand what your going through. I miss my rabbit... she was pregnant when she died...
    ~*Luna*~ The crazy Sagittarius/Snake BP Lady
    Cal and Ki's Proud Mommy.
    ~~* Goddess Bless*~~
    1.0.0- Normal Ball Python (Kyros "Ki")
    0.1.0- Normal*Spider sibling*Ball Python(Calypso"Cal")
    1.0.0- Betta fish (Leonidas "Leo")
    Steve Irwin (2/22/62 - 9/4/06)
    Sagittarius- Shockingly blunt since the beginning of time!

Thanks

Well...she isn't getting a dime from me.

She is just completely taken this whole situation and made it WAY bigger than it really had to be. She is running her mouth about me and my family and I am just completely done.

I am sending her a certified letter telling her that she and her animals aren't welcome on my property again.

I'm pretty sure that she is going to ty to take it to court. She has talked to some friends about 'legalities'.

She even made reference to this one case where a BURGULAR broke in someones house and a dog bit him so he sued the dog/home owner. Are you kidding me??? She is comparing herself to a scumbag that sued someone when he had no right to! ohhh...ok. whatever.

eh...if she takes me to court I'll be way more than ready.

oh and no worries dudes...I would never give out insurance info.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

One angle I havent see discussed;

Didn't she knowingly endanger her own dog by her actions? I mean she intentionally took it into a place where she knew there was an animal that would react badly but didn't even bother to have her own dog controlled on a leash or anything - if she did that to a child I'm sure someone would be having words with her about it.

I know if she did that to one of my animals I'd still be chewing on her bum.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

In your certified letter include the legal definitions of the following:

Defamation of Character
    Slander
    Libel
    Trespassing
    and last but not least, highlight this part

Counter Suit
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

One angle I havent see discussed;

Didn't she knowingly endanger her own dog by her actions? I mean she intentionally took it into a place where she knew there was an animal that would react badly but didn't even bother to have her own dog controlled on a leash or anything - if she did that to a child I'm sure someone would be having words with her about it.

I know if she did that to one of my animals I'd still be chewing on her bum.

dr del

Actually ...your correct Derek.

It's called a leash law and I found out today that she was in complete violation of it by not having him on it when she left her house.

The other is provacation...she knew my dog went nuts when she came here...yet she came even after I told her how nervous it made me.

She....has to prove to the court that SHE went out of HER way to keep her dog safe. How can she when she clearly states that WE knew Sway had a aggressive behavior towards other animals.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast