Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,308

1 members and 3,307 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: What lab blocks are the best?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mazuri formulas

28 50.00%
  • Harlan Teklad formulas

18 32.14%
  • other

10 17.86%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Whats the best Lab Blocks?

I've been using Sand Valley Feeds (Rodent lab blocks) for a few years now. I LOVE it and so do my rats - pets and feeders. I get BIG litters, less poop, nice looking soft coats, nice plump healthy rats. It comes in 40lb bags.

Ingredients:
    http://willowdaisy.com/gallery/main....serialNumber=1
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Sand Valley is remilled Harlan food and bagged by Harlan.........

Thanks

I've used them all and am currently using FRM 25%. I have to say it is great so far. The FRM 14% is not good for breeding. My production totally stopped and they started eating all the babies.

I've had great success with Mazuri too.

I get all my rodent food from local feed stores. I get Mazuri for $15.50 a bag and FRM 25% is $17 a bag. I have to buy Harlan from a local rodent breeder. I don't remember what is costs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Sand Valley is remilled Harlan food and bagged by Harlan.........
    Someone told me that a long time ago, but I could not find any info on it so I thought they were confused and talking about another product.

Do you know of any info that says this, links, etc? I take your word on it, but I;d like to post and show a rat forum I'm joined to about this since they do not believe me... any think Sandy Valley is crap food.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

I know it says packaged for Sand Vally on the tag but as far as saying from Harlan I am not sure? I know from someone who works for Harlan. The guy who owns Sand Valley is a friend somehow to the old owners of Harlan......

Thanks

I don't know what the best is, but I use purina lab diet. I like it pretty well.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lillyorchid View Post
    Someone told me that a long time ago, but I could not find any info on it so I thought they were confused and talking about another product.

Do you know of any info that says this, links, etc? I take your word on it, but I;d like to post and show a rat forum I'm joined to about this since they do not believe me... any think Sandy Valley is crap food.
    I believe it was by word of mouth. From what I remember, someone actually called Harlan customer service and they directed them towards another label saying it was their product for the public. I don't recall if it was sand valley, or by another name, but that's all I remember.

In dealing directly with Mazuri, they have assured me that their alfalfa extracts are indeed digestable by rats, since rats can digest certain extracts and parts from the alfalfa, but not the whole leaf or stem (from what I can remember) itself unless it has been properly processed.

Many brands like Kaytee and other mixed cheap diets are considered to not have the proper extracts of alfalfa in their diet, making it just filler and hardly digestable.

Harlan is indeed trying to cut off private buyers (not just the reptile industry), $1000 minimum order, need a dock to offload, etc...

Thanks

I emailed Harlan today to see if it was in fact true that Sand Valley is milled from Harlan. I got a reply this evening! =)

Email:

WOW I actually got a reply back from them at Harlan. Well the good news is the info I was told is actually in fact true! =)

Email:

from Terry Burns-Heffner <TBurns-Heffner@harlan.com>
    to "Allison"
    date Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 9:48 PM
    subject FW: SandValley lab blocks related to Harlan?

hide details 9:48 PM (2 hours ago)

Allison:

Yes, we manufacture this diet for Dean Moyer at Sand Valley Farms.

Very glad to hear you are pleased with this diet!

Terry

Terry Burns-Heffner

Teklad National Sales Manager

(301) 854-4777

Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:45 PM
    To: Terry Burns-Heffner
    Subject: FW: SandValley lab blocks related to Harlan?

Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 10:34 AM
    To: Ask A Nutritionist
    Subject: SandValley lab blocks related to Harlan?

I've been feeding my rats Sandy Valley lab blocks for years now. I love it and so have all of my rats I've had. A few days ago someone was asking what everyone fed to there rats. I told that person and a few others posted that Sand Valley is remilled Harlan food and bagged by Harlan.........

Does anyone know if this it true. I -think- I remember seeing a label on one of my bags a long time ago saying made by Harlan, but the bag I have currently does not have anything that says that. Any and all info would be much appreciated!

-Allison
    ---=ALLISON=---

Thanks

My personal favorite is the Harlan 2018.

I switched to Mazuri 6f a few months ago and almost immediately noticed a change in production and water consumption (also urination obviously) so the smell was worse.

Harlan is #1 in my book. I would rather have it shipped to me and get less out of a bag than the Mazuri because of what I have witnessed myself already. (less out of a bag=less pounds as 2018 is 33lb and 6f is 50lb).

I'm waiting on my next couple of bags of 2018 to come in now...hopefully monday!

I have never heard of the Sand Valley. Where do you get it?

Thanks

Any feedbacks about Zeigler RQ-18-6?

I'm using Mazuri 6F right now but I'm thinking to change.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast