Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,386

5 members and 3,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Caught a Rattlesnake!!

Most all NA pit viper bites are treated with Crofab. One bite can run around $10,000 in bills if they get you all fixed up the first try. If surgery is needed there is even more involved.

Granted, some take a bite and get no more then a shot of Benedryl, however that is a big gamble with your life.

Those are some very nice snakes, I would loved to have been there to get pics of it. I do not know your background and my last post may have seemed rude....if so I am sorry. I have kept and helped keep HOTS for a few years and they are no joke.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Okay I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here. I really am looking to learn but is it a good or safe thing to pick up a venomous snake, take pictures, THEN ask what kind it is?
    Check this out man....I know Rattlesnakes are plenty venomous. I have had some experience with hots..but not much. I DO know how to handle one. I know the repercussion if being bit by one. I was just asking what SPECIES of Rattlesnake it is. I am not an expert at knowing what EVERY species of snake is. Thats all.

Thanks everyone else for the comments.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare Creatures View Post

Those are some very nice snakes, I would loved to have been there to get pics of it. I do not know your background and my last post may have seemed rude....if so I am sorry. I have kept and helped keep HOTS for a few years and they are no joke.
    Didn't take it as rude...no worries bro. Thanks for the comments!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Jo, there was a boy with a stick and a snake on a trail.

Could there have been any other outcome?

We all start somewhere. I was picking Northerns and Mojave Greens when I was learning myself.

You know you can be in trouble if you get bit, you just have to be as careful as you can.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Okay I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here. I really am looking to learn but is it a good or safe thing to pick up a venomous snake, take pictures, THEN ask what kind it is?
    I agree with you, Jo!
    There was a guy at the Austin show yesterday that had also caught a rattler while out field herping. He had the bandage on his hand and stories of the removal of his dead flesh to prove it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post

We all start somewhere. I was picking Northerns and Mojave Greens when I was learning myself.

You know you can be in trouble if you get bit, you just have to be as careful as you can.
    If it's one of my boys I'll be swatting them with the stick until they go do their research first, Wes LOL. Granted I didn't grow up in an area that's got a lot of venomous snakes in the first place so perhaps it's a geographical thing.

To the OP, look I wasn't trying to be mean to you, though you obviously took it that way. I was trying to understand what makes a person pick up a venomous snake on a trail like that and what the reprecussions of it are or could be. If it bothers you to have anyone express concern, then I'm sorry about that but learning about safety is also about how I learn.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahMB View Post
    I agree with you, Jo!
    There was a guy at the Austin show yesterday that had also caught a rattler while out field herping. He had the bandage on his hand and stories of the removal of his dead flesh to prove it.
    I've been nailed so many times lately Sarah with these little hatchlings that I'm real glad they are harmless things. I've suddenly become tasty BP food apparently.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I would'nt pick it up,I would take some pics of it,I heard their venom is really deadly,more so than the east coast rattlers.I watch venom ER!
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post

i agree, you gotta get your feet wet sometime and if you're feet are wet then you gotta stay well practiced. venomous animals are not to be taken lightly, but that doesn't mean that nobody should touch them. you got a snake hook, you know what you're doing, you will be safe if you're careful.
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks

It may be stupid, but if he has experience and knows what he's doing to some extent, he's probably going to do it. Unavoidable, but expected.

Jo, I totally feel for you. If that was my dad, boyfriend, or brother I would probably beat the crap outta him from dawn until dusk.

Cool find anyhow.

Thanks

If it's one of my boys I'll be swatting them with the stick until they go do their research first, Wes LOL. Granted I didn't grow up in an area that's got a lot of venomous snakes in the first place so perhaps it's a geographical thing.

To the OP, look I wasn't trying to be mean to you, though you obviously took it that way. I was trying to understand what makes a person pick up a venomous snake on a trail like that and what the reprecussions of it are or could be. If it bothers you to have anyone express concern, then I'm sorry about that but learning about safety is also about how I learn.
    Sorry if I came off as rude to you frankykeno.

I am no expert with hots...but have handled rattlesnakes before. Believe it or not...IF worst case scenario i was to be bitten, Stanford Hospital is a 10 minute drive and 5 minute walk down the trail from where i saw the snake. I had a hook and was careful and had another person with me. I didn't get bit so all is ok. But thanks for expressing your concern.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast