Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,982

1 members and 1,981 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Need Help - Anyone Everr See Somthing Like This?

Just got a reply from Dr. Stahls office.

He really needs surgery... and it has gotten very large and involved, so we would be concerned with the infection getting into the bone/blood stream at this point. (reptile pus is very caseous and needs to be removed surgically, not drained, every time) If he is still strong, has good muscular tone, the best bet would be to fed ex him down here for treatment. Or, if you’d prefer, I could set up a phone consult with Dr Stahl... maybe even have him talk to your vet to instruct them on what to do. He needs to be started on antibiotics, ceftazadime and Baytril every 3 days and meloxicam for pain/inflammation. you can fax the records to us at 703-281-3730 for now, that way they are here no matter what you decide as far as Dr Stahls involvement. Let me know, Jen

Thanks

Well, I am at a crossroad now.
    I can't afford the quote from Dr. Stahl (after just putting out $500 this past week) and I don't think my vet is competent enough to do the surgery and then I still probably couldn't afford it even if they pulled it off successfully.
    This sucks.

I would imagine surgery/hosp(at least a month) would run about 800-1500.00
    If your vet isn’t comfortable with the surgery, his only chance will be to ship. Let us know, Jen

Thanks

Sorry things are going bad for you. Wish I had some words of wisdom to make things better.
    ***Tony S.***

Thanks

Awww Steve, what a mess. The snake looks really bad. Is there the possibility of a payment plan for his medical needs or even having him seen by the doctor's at a teaching vet school? I know in Guelph, Ontario at their vet school they will take on unusual cases for vastly reduced fees in order to help teach the students about things that are rarely seen. Any option like that available to you?
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Awww Steve, what a mess. The snake looks really bad. Is there the possibility of a payment plan for his medical needs or even having him seen by the doctor's at a teaching vet school? I know in Guelph, Ontario at their vet school they will take on unusual cases for vastly reduced fees in order to help teach the students about things that are rarely seen. Any option like that available to you?
    I had asked about a payment plan and got this response from them.
    We usually have you pay in full, but since he is going to be here for a while, you could pay ˝ when you send him, then whatever is left when we send him back. We do have to have it paid before he comes back, though. Sorry about that, we have had too many people that we gave payment plans to that never paid… so we had to stop offering payments. Jen
    I am waiting on a reply to my last note to find out what would be needed up front to get him down there ASAP since they gave me a range on cost. Once I know if I need $600, $800, etc up front, I can hopefully try to arrange something and get him down there for the surgery.

Thanks

I know we're all probably really strapped for cash, but if you send me your Paypal info, I'd be happy to help out with a bit of cash. I'm sure others would be too. It may not amount to a lot, but it could help you out. It's been done for other members.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MuzeBallPythons View Post
    I know we're all probably really strapped for cash, but if you send me your Paypal info, I'd be happy to help out with a bit of cash. I'm sure others would be too. It may not amount to a lot, but it could help you out. It's been done for other members.
    Thank you for the generous offer but I will have to decline.

Thanks

I'm sorry I can't be of any help, but I am really sad to hear about this. It's shocking how quickly it flared up, really. Was the other vet able to tell you how it happened? Is this type of thing caused by genetics or bacteria or what?

Good luck with him, though. I feel so sorry to see him swelled up like that; he must be so miserable.

Thanks

I understand. I wish the best for your little guy. At least he's with someone who cares.

Good luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun View Post
    I'm sorry I can't be of any help, but I am really sad to hear about this. It's shocking how quickly it flared up, really. Was the other vet able to tell you how it happened? Is this type of thing caused by genetics or bacteria or what?

Good luck with him, though. I feel so sorry to see him swelled up like that; he must be so miserable.
    At first they thought it might have been a genetic defect and spinal fluid was leaking into the back of the skull. The consistency of the liquid in the biopsy supported that over an abcess expecially since there appeared to by no wound.
    The results of the labwork ruled that out and now the vet does not know what caused it or really what it is.
    The rapid progression also shocked the vet.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast