Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,369

5 members and 3,364 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: little question on riding with a snaffle bit

I ride both ways. To be honest I can't tell much of a difference. We have two horses that I ride regularly and usually ride with the halter under the bridle. One, so I can tie them up when out on the trail, two for safety, and three because I'm lazy I keep the lead rope attached to the halter and hung around the horn, that way I can grab that on my way down, or as the horse runs past me (which has happened several times).

However, I ride western only and both of our horses neck rein very well. Our bridles don't go over the nose so that would also cut down on pressure/tightening.

So you have an idea of what I'm talking about. I also use rope halters. You can see the lead rope swinging on her left side, I'm not sure why I tie it on that side other than it always seemed to be the side she dumped me on, or ran past me after she dumped me. Our riding horses were both extrememly green broke when we got them. If you noticed, I ride a gag bit with my girl, and my sister's horse with a tom thumb. Both Leverage Bits.

I use a harsh bit because she is so high strung and spirited. I recently found out my mare was MOST DEFINITELY a retired barrel horse. I took her to my first horse show ever and competted in barrels, our second time running barrels EVER, and my 21-year-old mare came in 3 seconds behind the winner!
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 08-29-2008 at 08:01 PM.

Thanks

I don't really think that the halter really gets in the way *much*. For the most part the onlytime i've ever seen anyone riding with a halter under the bridle its been in two situations. On trail, and typically then its with western types. With neck reining I don't believe that the halter will get in the way at all.

The other way i've seen it is when you are training young/unbroke horses. At that stage of the game you aren't really using the bridle for much of anything anyway. Its a safety thing so you have something you can lead them with while someone is on their back. They can *feel* the bit, but not be tugged on by it. I don't think its dangerous at all. Obviously once a horse is at a high enough level such practices do not really need to be followed.

I think that keeping a halter on under the bridle is something to be done if the rider wants that added security. My new mare is *very* green...she knows walk/trot and I feel completely comfortable riding without a halter under the bridle, but I'm sure some people working with her might not be comfortable with that. She has gotten a LOT better, but she is very spooky and untrusting.

Overall I think its more of a western/trail thing, than it is an english thing. That being said I ride Dressage, and my instructor will start her horses with the halters underneath. To each their own for the most part.
    I am Kim......
    6 bp's, 1 cali king, 1 red footed tort, 2 cats, 2 dogs, assortment of feeders.....

Thanks

EGADS!!! wheres the Helmit!! I'm a stickler for helmit safety!

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    I am Kim......
    6 bp's, 1 cali king, 1 red footed tort, 2 cats, 2 dogs, assortment of feeders.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by equis8 View Post
    EGADS!!! wheres the Helmit!! I'm a stickler for helmit safety!
    Not to mention sandals!
    COME ON.

Thanks

Ah the helmet/proper shoes debate... I'm probably really lucky I haven't got too many pictures of me riding when I was younger. No helmet, barefoot, in shorts and a quick rope bridle....

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Ah the helmet/proper shoes debate... I'm probably really lucky I haven't got too many pictures of me riding when I was younger. No helmet, barefoot, in shorts and a quick rope bridle....
    Yeah, that's our family.

We do have helmets and boots.....back in the tack room We mostly got the helmets for 4-H riding.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Dressagey rider here: I have ridden with the halter under the bridle but usually for specific reasons. A young horse who is not yet used to the bit, in which case the halter is used for the transition. Sometimes hang the bit in the mouth with the bridle but put reins on the halter and then slowly work toward using the bit. Lungeing a young horse without a cavesson-- if they are very green or very young, I lunge off of the halter at the beginning as the bit can be a surprise. I like to have the bit be present but not used at the beginning.

As for spooking when transitioning from halter to bridle or vice versa, I do own a dork of a horse who has spooked not once, not twice, but three times during this!!! Twice he broke the reins of the bridle which were looped over his head. The first time it was because I shocked him with static electricity. The following times seemed to be about remembering that I shocked him. Sooo, I never loop the reins over his head while unbridling now. It is very scary to have a horse bolt with a bridle dangling between their legs. VERY dangerous for the horse. So I keep them in my hands and unbridle so that the bridle will come off in case of a spook and all that will be on him is a halter around his lovley neck.

~~ZinniaZ
    2.1.0 ball python-- James Herriot the Spider BP and Paradox, my son's female normal BP, Jack London, het red axanthic
    0.1 Blue Beauty-- Anna Sewall

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12