Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,303

1 members and 3,302 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

ugh rats with lice..

I was holding my rats today and saw what I thought was little flecks of equine fresh on their fur. so i blew on her fur and they weren't coming off. I blew again to take a closer look. whatever it was, they were stuck to individual hairs. so I blew even more so I could seperate the fur to get a look at her skin.. sure enough I seen something crawling, was longish and reddish. (i started to itch instantly LOL)

I've done some research and it sounds like lice. I know they are species spicific but it still creeps me out and makes me avoid holding them. As it makes me feel all itchy lol (a mental thing.. kinda like when someone mentions head lice and then you start itching your head LMAO)

I've read a few posts on here about rats with lice and I think I will take SatanicIntention's advice with using the horse Ivermectin dewormer.

My questions are, is it possible they could of gotten the lice from the equine fresh? Or have I just not seen them until today? I just started breeding rats again a few months ago, so I haven't had them very long.

And what should I do with their cage? I know I have to scrub it, but can I also use walmarts brand lice bedding spray to treat the cage & bedding? (maybe myself too ~itch itch~ LMAO-hope ya's know Im kiddin)

Oh and during the course of treatment, should I avoid feeding them off? I would imagine the doses are so small it wouldn't harm my snakes but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'm going to treat the mice also, can't hurt them right? My guess would be to use 1/3 of the size of an uncooked grain of rice. Correct me if Im wrong tho.

~Filly
    Last edited by filly77; 08-22-2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: added a question lol

Thanks

Re: ugh rats with lice..

I wouldnt think that the lice came from the bedding unless you got the bedding from a dirty\nasty store and the lice could of gotten into the bag. just my 2 cents

Thanks

i got it from tractor supply, seems pretty clean in there

Thanks

dont feed them off necessarily I would think... I believe your rats had the lice before hand. Equine fresh doesn't strike me as a medium to find rat lice in.

Thanks

So I should wait 3 weeks before I feed the babies off?