Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,067

1 members and 3,066 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Ball pythons VS. Corn snakes?

I get the vibe that ball pythons are seen as much more of a "pet" snake than the corn snake... is this true in your opinion? What do you think? I personally just purchased a ball python and am considering getting a different species of snake.
    Jordan
    "Don't be afraid of a reptile's tongue; the only animal that can hurt you with it's tongue is a human being."

My Snakes....0.0.1 Mexican Black King, named Lilith ~ 0.0.1 Royal Python, named Zuli

Wish List....Snow Corn~Vietnamese Blue Beauty~Lavender King~Sunbeam~Brown Water Python

Thanks

Re: Ball pythons VS. Corn snakes?

Corns are much easier than balls...they don't really need high temps, no humidity ( a little squirt during shedding always helps) and they eat anything. Pretty easy pets if you ask me!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Actually, corns possibly make better pets. BPs are very shy and stay in their hides most of the time, especially during the day. They can be stressed by too much handling. Plus their set-ups are a little more demanding which can cause trouble for a first time keeper, although it really isn't hard as long as someone is willing to put in the effort and money to get it right.

Corns on the other hand are more forgiving of a wider range of temps and humidity. They are more active and are more likely to be seen out of their hides during the day, which makes them better for watching. They are not as likely to be stressed by handling, although they can be very flighty when young and need a little work to tame them down. They are not as shy; in fact, the older of our 2 corns often will poke her head out of her hide to see what is going on when someone walks past her enclosure.

I have both species and love them both. They complement each other very nicely. When I'm in the mood to have a snake curl up on my lap while I watch a TV show, I take out a bp. When I'm in the mood for a more active handling session, I take out one of the corns.
    Casey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kc261 View Post
    Actually, corns possibly make better pets. BPs are very shy and stay in their hides most of the time, especially during the day. They can be stressed by too much handling. Plus their set-ups are a little more demanding which can cause trouble for a first time keeper, although it really isn't hard as long as someone is willing to put in the effort and money to get it right.

Corns on the other hand are more forgiving of a wider range of temps and humidity. They are more active and are more likely to be seen out of their hides during the day, which makes them better for watching. They are not as likely to be stressed by handling, although they can be very flighty when young and need a little work to tame them down. They are not as shy; in fact, the older of our 2 corns often will poke her head out of her hide to see what is going on when someone walks past her enclosure.

I have both species and love them both. They complement each other very nicely. When I'm in the mood to have a snake curl up on my lap while I watch a TV show, I take out a bp. When I'm in the mood for a more active handling session, I take out one of the corns.
    I agree. I have both species and i enjoy them both equally.
    Doris

Thanks

Ya, corns are easier and more forgiving, but balls are awsome. They're so pretty.
    - All hail the dancing fruit and veg...

Thanks

I am not into corns myself, because they are flighty / squirmy when handling. I also like the larger bodied snakes. They do look pretty awesome though. There are so many different color morphs.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

I've had two corn snakes die.
    No other snakes of mine have died.(Burm,RTB,BP)
    They where all in proper care.

The supposed beginner snake has been the worst for me.

Try getting an older corn. Baby corns are more succeptable to mistakes.
    www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
    myspace.com/aztekvamp

Thanks

We keep ball pythons, a milksnake and some boas. Really any of them make good pet snakes, it just depends on what you personally like in a snake. They all have their good points and are all slightly different in their care requirements or style of handling. Personally I like the differences and enjoy having a mixed collection.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I have both species and love them all.

Tho I agree that if you're not really comfortable with a pencil size snake, you should look for a sub-adult to adult. A little more money but a lot more calm.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Overall, I'd opt for the cornsnake being a better starter snake, based on the following criteria:

1.) cheaper initial cost (although a cornsnake from petsmart may be just as much as buying a baby BP from an expo)
    2.) many of the different morphs are fairly cheap, too, so a noob has many choices to start with...compared to entering BP morphs ("hmmm...$40 for a normal BP....$150+ for anything else....not a hard choice!")
    3.) better initial feed responses (usually)
    4.) less demanding care/husbandry

...like someone else said though, the only thing I don't like is perhaps a baby corn is quite small and squirmy compared to a more "hefty" baby BP. However, if they eat good, it doesn't take long for a baby corn to get large enough for regular handling.
    ---------
    Art Portfolio: http://www.artREXdesigns.com
    House Snake Site: http://www.shiningsnakes.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast