Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,330

3 members and 3,327 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Questions about Cresties!

Ok so after looking through every page here in the crestie part of the forum I'm fairly sure my exact questions have not been asked. I've been interested in cresties for a while and currently have two males in separate set ups (20 Longs on their sides) I love my cresties and have started to consider the idea of breeding. Here's where my questions arise.I'm going to pick up some cresties and I'm toying with the idea of keeping 6 females for the two males I currently have. I was going to keep 3 females in one tub, and 3 in another. So my question deals mostly with tub sizes.

The only info on tub sizes I've seen really is from an old post of Emilys.

""12"x12"x30" should be fine for individuals or even pairs. I keep up to 4 adults in a 23"x16"x16" cage with branches, vines and a few hides and they do fine. ""

If I pick up 1 single hatchling/juvie crestie what size tub will I need?

What if I decide to pick up a pair?

How about a trio?

Finally, I eventually want to have 3 females to a tub, then I will introduce the male during the breeding season, and then remove him in the winter. What size tub will I need to house the 3 females if I plan on introducing the male during breeding season?

My next question deals with moving from one tub to another. Say I pick up a pair or a trio or whatever, at what age/weight/size do I need to move them to the next size tub?

Does anyone use any home-made rack systems as many do with ball pythons, and if so please post pictures with info on tubs and such.

Thanks in advance for any answers you may have!
    ~Dexter Mason~
    Wife 0.1 Children 0.1.1 Dogs 1.1 Ball Pythons: 5.22
    Bearded Dragon 1.0 Ornate Horned Toad 0.0.1 Leos 1.3 Russian Tortoise 0.1

Melodrama coming from you is about as normal as a bowel movement - Clerks
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule. - Clerks
    Dante Hicks: But you hate people.
    Randal Graves: Yes, but I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?

Thanks

Re: Questions about Cresties!

The "general rule" for cresties is 20 gallons for an adult, and 5 extra gallons for each extra adult. For a male plus a trio of females you're looking at about 35 gallons. The most important thing is hiding spots, though, so they can kind of get away from each other.

I don't have a rack system for my adults because I prefer natural set-ups, but some people use them. I do keep hatchlings and juvies in 12x6x4 inch ziploc boxes (76 oz). One juvie or two hatchlings per box. This way they are not competing for food, and I can see that everyone is still pooping.

In a larger container like a 20 gallon juvies can be housed together, but once they reach about 6 months they should be separated until they can be sexed. This is simply because breeding females before they weigh 30 grams can be detrimental to their health. If you're sure they are all female, though, they can just be moved to a larger enclosure together at that time.
    2.2.6.4 Crested Geckos
    0.1.0 Corn Snake
    1.2.0 Ball Pythons
    2.0.0 Cats
    1.1.0 Dogs
    0.0.14 Fish
    100s of Red Cherry Shrimp
    1.0.0 Husband

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I'll take all of that into account. What size tub would you think I should get for 2-3 hatchling cresties?
    ~Dexter Mason~
    Wife 0.1 Children 0.1.1 Dogs 1.1 Ball Pythons: 5.22
    Bearded Dragon 1.0 Ornate Horned Toad 0.0.1 Leos 1.3 Russian Tortoise 0.1

Melodrama coming from you is about as normal as a bowel movement - Clerks
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule. - Clerks
    Dante Hicks: But you hate people.
    Randal Graves: Yes, but I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?

Thanks

well its pretty pointless to go out and buy one tub when you could potentially need 3 if you buy 3 juvies. you should just house em separately until you can positively sex them the little ones can be total gits trust me. anyways it would be better to just get some older ones so you know their sex and you can get a trio of 1.2

my 0.02

*edit* ohhh and im pretty sure that there are some screen cages on lllreptile that work well for cheap i got the 30' tall and i think its only 60 plus shipping and i got it in like 2 days and i know some ppl on here use them for chameleons and such but my cresties seem to like the space. i just gotta decorate it better
    Last edited by dr del; 08-24-2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: replacing censor smileys

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Holbeird View Post
    If I pick up 1 single hatchling/juvie crestie what size tub will I need?
    A small to medium kritter keeper is a good size for single hatchling.

What if I decide to pick up a pair?
    A medium to large kritter keeper or a similarly sized Rubbermaid tub will work for a pair of hatchling/juvies.

How about a trio?
    A large kritter keeper or similarly sized Rubbermaid tub for a trio of hatchlings or juvies.

Finally, I eventually want to have 3 females to a tub, then I will introduce the male during the breeding season, and then remove him in the winter. What size tub will I need to house the 3 females if I plan on introducing the male during breeding season?
    I use 16x16x23 inch cages to house up to 4 geckos (I use the crested gecko cages from Reptile Depot: http://reptiledepot.com/reptprices.html). This usually consists of 3 females and a male during breeding season. You can also use 66qt Rubbermaid or Sterilite containers.

My next question deals with moving from one tub to another. Say I pick up a pair or a trio or whatever, at what age/weight/size do I need to move them to the next size tub?
    If you start with a hatchling in a small kritter keeper you will need to move it up to a medium at about 4-6 months, a large at about 6-9 months and a full sized cage at about one year of age.

Quote Originally Posted by crusher View Post
    well its pretty pointless to go out and buy one tub when you could potentially need 3 if you buy 3 juvies. you should just house em separately until you can positively sex them the little ones can be total gits trust me. anyways it would be better to just get some older ones so you know their sex and you can get a trio of 1.2
    It is fine to house cresteds together until they are sexable or about 6 months of age. At that time males need to be separated from females to avoid early breeding and from other males to avoid fighting. Juvies generally get along together quite well, and usually the only downfall to housing more than 2 or so together is that you get more tail nips and drops with larger groups.
    - Emily