Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,443

2 members and 3,441 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Future Bookshelf Conversion Project

So this is what I want to start working on in the next month or two. The space on the shelves allows for approximately 18 gallons of space per shelf.

Three BPS will hopefully go into this, is that an appropriate amount of space? I know that rack systems are generally smaller than tanks, so I'd like feedback on the comparisons.

this will be my official update thread for this project, so any advice or criticism will be accepted and taken into account.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks

Re: Future Bookshelf Conversion Project

Are you going to be custom building the enclosures into the shelves or just using tanks?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Is the cat going to stay? :p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

What are the dimensions of the shelves?
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    They will be custom built, is my intention. Which means safe wiring, lighting with LEDs, etc.

The dimensions of the shelves are 11in wide, 38in long, 10in tall.

And unfortunately, the cat will be in her new home by the time I start on this project. She just really likes being in the pictures I take. Lol
    1.1 Ball Pythons

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),

Thanks

That sounds like nice dimensions for an adult female ball python. If they are younger than that I'd say use some hides. Regardless sounds like a fun project!

Custom vivariums are nice.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via tapatalk.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AMBiEN22 View Post
    That sounds like nice dimensions for an adult female ball python. If they are younger than that I'd say use some hides. Regardless sounds like a fun project!

Custom vivariums are nice.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via tapatalk.
    Oh, hides are a given, but with the space as narrow as it is, I may have to custom-build those as well. I think it'll quite snugly fit my current non-breeder male and a breeding pair, once it's up and running.

Of course, I'll also have to invest in a new bookshelf for all of my books, but, you know, details. Snakes are more exciting than books sometimes.
    1.1 Ball Pythons

Fish:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Archimedes For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (08-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

"18 gallons of space", huh? ...is that an exact measurement,or a weight? I bet itll look nice when its done. How are you doing the doors on the front? Sliding glass, open out,etc,.? And are you gonna keep that color or paint over it?
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4theSNAKElady View Post
    "18 gallons of space", huh? ...is that an exact measurement,or a weight? I bet itll look nice when its done. How are you doing the doors on the front? Sliding glass, open out,etc,.? And are you gonna keep that color or paint over it?
    I like the natural wood look, but I'm considering tiling the inside for easy cleaning and heat transfer. I'll probably do acrylic sliding doors, that's my plan for the time being. It'll also all be hooked up to a great-quality thermostat a la rack system.

My biggest priority right now is determining the fire hazard of the UTH/heat tape on the wood surfaces, so if anyone has experience with this, or knows anyone, please please please point them to this thread, as I think that will really be the biggest challenge.
    1.1 Ball Pythons

Fish:

Thanks
    I've run into a concerning roadblock: I don't know what wood the bookshelf is made of. And there aren't too many ways to find out, as the furniture itself is probably older than I am.

Will completely sealing the inside with tile be enough to protect the snakes IF the shelves are made of pine? (I sort of doubt that it is pine, it feels too hard to be pine, but I'll do what I can to find out.)
    1.1 Ball Pythons

Fish:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast