Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,279

1 members and 3,278 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Question New Bp - Not Using Hide

Hi Guys,

Just before my question wanted to thank you for the great information with regard to husbandry and upkeep of a BP. The information has been great and very informative. Alot of the care sheets and stickys have been a wonderful source of information.

Now before my question. This is my setup:

SETUP: 17 inch, male BP. 10 gallon tank with screen top. UTH heating source with heating light (both on dimmers). 2 hides, water dish, a broad tree branch, forest bark for substrate, 2 thermometers. Temperatures are a consistent 89.8 for the warm side and a cold side of of 78 to 81. Humidity levels fluctuate from 55%-65%.

I have had to use both a UTH and heat lamp. My UTH made for a 30-40 gallon tank would not get this 10 gallon tank past 85. I figured it might be the central air conditioning in my apartment which is not controlled by me. Hence I added a heat lamp.

Question: So I have had this BP since sunday. I am finding he is not consistently using his hides. He seems to prefer sitting in the open. He does use his hides sporadically. In the pet store I purchased him from the snake was not provided with a hide. That initially worried me, however I knew that the snake was captive bred, looked healthy, and I also knew the breeder from which this pet store obtained its BP.

I do not think the BP is stressed because he fed actively last night on a f/t hopper. After eating he actually climbed up on his branch, and than just hung out. Finally later he did return to his warm hide, however this morning I find him balled up in a corner of the terrarium. Even now as I look at him, he's exploring his low branch.

So is this normal? Should I be worried?

May this be a reflection of the fact that the pet store did not provide him with a hide? I mean alot of the time I am more likely to find him perched on his tree stump or just sprawled out rather than his hide. Its kind of the opposite of what I have been reading, I'm not sure if I should be worried.

Thanks in Advance,

Mike

Thanks

Re: New Bp - Not Using Hide

Mike it may well be that he is simply unused to having hides provided for him. While instinct should by theory drive him to seek a hide, not all do. I have some that I literally have had to point their head into the doorway of their hide for them to get the idea. LOL Once they figure it out though they do seem to love their hides.

Do measure the temps if possible inside that warm side hide. Some hides depending on their construction retain/build heat to such a degree that it becomes overly warm and drives the snake from the hide so it's best to get the actualy inside the hide temp on a warm side hide.

Watch that overhead heat lamp. While it can provide the heat you need, it will also tend to suck the humidity out of that tank (if you've got the typical open mesh lid on it). It does look though that your humidity is good but it's just something to keep a close eye on so the snake can be healthy and shed well.
    ~~Joanna~~