Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,300

3 members and 3,297 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Question Re-hydrating a hatchling

I have seen lots of others saying they needed to rehydrate a hatchling for what ever reason.
    I have seen one thread where they said they gave the hatchling a syringe full of egg yolk to rehydrate.
    What king of egg yolk and what else is used to rehydrate a young ball python just out of the egg?

Thanks

Re: Re-hydrating a hatchling

Unless the snake is absolutely ringing the bell on Death's door, soaking the snake once a day in lukewarm water will do wonders for hydration.

There's no need to use egg yolk unless the snake isn't eating and is emaciated. Used for energy mainly, not to hydrate.

Babies right out of the egg should be kept on moist paper towels until they shed for the first time. After they shed, they should be offered food at night, which can be left in the tub overnight if need be. I've only ever assist/force fed after 7-8 weeks of refusals.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

I understand all that. I am asking specifically about tubing a hatchling OR what ever people use to rehydrate them if need be.
    Here are two examples:
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...=65013&page=18
    Re: Official JKR 2008 clutch thread
    08_Clutch#18 - Hatched! - Piebald x 50% het Piebald - 3 eggs, 2 slugs
    Notes: She proved! This momma has strong het pied markers... The little female pied just about died in the egg. I ended up piping the egg after I didn't see a nose and found her cord all twisted up and the blood flow between the yolk and the baby had dried up. I cut her loose and after rehydrating looks like she'll make it?!!!
    And
    http://www.ballpython.ca/miracle.html
    Excerpt from Miracle Ball-
    "She also had her yolk sack still attached and not an ounce of it was absorbed. It was beginning to rot and harden so I made some calls to get some advice. I decided to cut her cord after tying a thread around it just below the opening. She was very weak and I knew she needed some protein quickly. I went to the kitchen and put some chicken yolk in a syringe, put a tube down her throat and filled her belly."

Thanks

That's not for rehydrating, that's for replacing the yolk if the umbilical cord gets pinched/twisted and the neonate is unable to absorb it's own yolk.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite