Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,247

0 members and 3,247 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Question ultratherm heat pad placement

Ok, so I just got an Ultratherm heat pad for my snake coming tomorrow. We will eventually put him in a rack with flexwatt, but for the meantime he has ultratherm. I was just wondering where I should place the ultratherm. On the directions it says to either put it on the bottom of the cage (outside or inside) or on the side(inside). Which option would you guys reccommend? And how would I secure it to either one? Just with aluminum tape or something? The directions mention a polystyrene insulation...what is this? Do I need it? Where can I get it?
    Also, if for some reason, it gets too hot, can i just connect a dimmer to it to turn it down? Is this easy to accomplish?
    I know it's a lot of questions, but I want to be prepared for my baby!!!
    Thanks!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: ultratherm heat pad placement

You need to place it outside, I would not recommend placing an electrical device in an enclosure where the animal can urinate in large quantities or tip is water dish over.

The most efficient way is to tape it at the bottom of your enclosure to provide belly heat! (foil tape is one of your best option)

Also, if for some reason, it gets too hot, can i just connect a dimmer to it to turn it down? Is this easy to accomplish?
    Even ultratherm heat pad need to be controlled by a dimmer or for best result a thermostat, if left uncontrolled they can achieve a temps of 120 degrees.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: ultratherm heat pad placement

i will just have to use a rheostat or a dimmer for now. We will get a thermostat when we build the rack here in a couple weeks. What is a good rheostat? Does a dimmer work just as well? How do you hook either up?