Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,271

0 members and 3,271 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

View Poll Results: I hope You all are NOT mad at me???

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • How dare you.....

1 3.85%
  • No were cool....

25 96.15%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to Vent

Thanks

Need to Vent

K. First this is not to get anyone upset ,mad or anything to that nature so I would like it if NOONE sends me any hate mail.(lol) I hear people alot when refuring to Ball Pythons they get all offensive when they see one in a "BIG" tank. My B.p.is just about 5 feet and the rule of thumb I have always heard and always have gone by is although they usally stayed balled up they NEED to strech out. So I make sure the tank is just about as long as their body. I DO COMPLETLY understand if u have alot of snakes using the rack system and keeping them in those small cramped tubs. However if you only have a few I don't understand why it is such a big deal. Mine is bigger than most on here and he eats just fine and is perfectly happy. He is also in good health. In fact he is soon moving into a 6' x 1 1/2' x 24" aquarium that I am SURE he will love. Ty for reading and again this is not an attack to ANYONE just me venting ty-Ray
    0.0.1 Ball Python

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Need to Vent

Just curious was the question whether it would upset anyone to find out what size enclosure your keeping your BP in??

Not sure I really understand the point.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

BPnet Veteran Kesslers Kreatures's Avatar
    Thanks

No one hates people for keeping there snakes in tanks rather than tubs, by all means if you can keep the temps right and you snake is healthy then congrats to you. It just not practical for the people who own multiple snakes to keep a bunch of tanks around and have to fuss with all the temp issuses that normally come with keeping a bp in a tank.
    Lewie

0.1 Girlfriend
    5.13 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boas

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

People don't usually get seriously upset about a "big tank" for ball pythons. More often than not, it's a new person who gets offended when it is suggested that their snake might thrive better in a smaller environment after they've come asking for help about why their snake won't eat or whatever.

A large tank can be a bit risky for baby ball pythons because they can cause certain kinds of stress related issues, such as not eating. Pointing this established fact out to someone as something they should consider when housing their baby ball python should not be offensive.

Large tanks can also be difficult to maintain proper environmental levels in. That doesn't mean it can't be done...lots of people do it successfully. But when a new person just getting started is trying to figure out the best way to house their new snake, it's reasonable to suggest that they start with a set-up that is easier to maintain.

All of the above should never be anything more than a suggestion for consideration. Different people have different situations and abilities and work ethics. If you can keep a giant tank clean and properly heated with decent levels of humidity, then I think that's awesome. If your snake seems to enjoy it and thrives in it, then that's even more awesome. More power to ya. It shouldn't be something you feel you have to be so defensive about.

(Oh...and I'll move this out of the "Intro" forum and into the BP husbandry forum for ya. )
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    People don't usually get seriously upset about a "big tank" for ball pythons. More often than not, it's a new person who gets offended when it is suggested that their snake might thrive better in a smaller environment after they've come asking for help about why their snake won't eat or whatever.

A large tank can be a bit risky for baby ball pythons because they can cause certain kinds of stress related issues, such as not eating. Pointing this established fact out to someone as something they should consider when housing their baby ball python should not be offensive.

Large tanks can also be difficult to maintain proper environmental levels in. That doesn't mean it can't be done...lots of people do it successfully. But when a new person just getting started is trying to figure out the best way to house their new snake, it's reasonable to suggest that they start with a set-up that is easier to maintain.

All of the above should never be anything more than a suggestion for consideration. Different people have different situations and abilities and work ethics. If you can keep a giant tank clean and properly heated with decent levels of humidity, then I think that's awesome. If your snake seems to enjoy it and thrives in it, then that's even more awesome. More power to ya. It shouldn't be something you feel you have to be so defensive about.

(Oh...and I'll move this out of the "Intro" forum and into the BP husbandry forum for ya. )

I agree 100% Belive me I am NOT offended. I have been dealing with snkes for a very long time. Also have learned a good bit while on this site I love it! Just some of the things on here I am afraid that people will doubt themselves (if first timers) on why they even got a snake if in a tank. I just want them to know that it can be done in a tank and they should not get disscuraged. Maybe I worded my thoughts wrong .... sorry.
    0.0.1 Ball Python

Thanks

I would certainly agree with the previous posters that the "too large of an enclosure" subject ordinarily comes up when somebody just bought a baby ball python and asks why it won't eat. When told that the 55gallon tank that it is in is too large for the snake to feel secure in, the person that is asking for advice usually doesn't want to hear the answer especially if they just bought their big tank and other equipment brand new from the store that sold them the snake. The people on this site usually answer husbandry questions in a direct manner and some of them could probably do it in a kinder and gentler fashion. If your big snake is happy in a big tank I can't imagine that anyone would care one way or the other.
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks

I feel that a small ball python most of the time does better in a small enclosure.

Your observations mirror my own when they larger. I have three ladies in three 2x3x1 RBI reptile cages and they lounge and move around and use all of the space at night. It is a joy to observe.

Sadly, my larger ball pythons in tubs do not have this opportunity (yet) and so they exhibit quite different behaviors.

In a few months, I'll have three more 2x3x1 cages for three more of my largest ball pythons. As the rest continue to grow, I will be working feverishly to transfer them to cages.

There is, however, a huge caveat to this story. Some ball pythons really do better in a very small zone. I have 2 ladies in particular who I doubt will ever live in a cage- they really thrive in a teeny space.

One size does NOT fit all ball pythons and I am really thankful that there are many options and that the members on this forum are diverse in snake keeping methodologies. This really permits a very well-rounded education!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

I house both of my BP's in 40 Gal tanks - For the smaller snake I keep the tank nice and cluttered with greenery, so there isn't much open space and Im pretty confident that she feels secure. She feeds like a champ, sheds beautifully, etc The larger male has a tiny bit of open space, but not much. He likes knocking things over and moving the plants around.

Thanks

Starmom,

What differences have you noticed in your females behavior in cages vs. those in tubs?

Are those in cages better at being handled that those in tubs?

Just curious
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

just a side question... you say your male is 5 feet long? are you sure it is a male?
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast