Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,256

0 members and 3,256 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

does anyone heat there snake room?

I have been contemplating building a snake room, this would allow me to install a vent, heater, and control humidity.

who all has done this? I am thinkg I can set the heat tape tot he desired TEMP for the hot side, and than set my rooms temp to what i would like the snakes cool side to sit at.

Does this seem like a pretty good idea? I'm just trying to design my new rack systems and if I go this way I will be able to build my racks to fit the room maximizing space!!

shawn

P.S. i am sure this has beenc overed, but My searches have failed me. just link me if you find something usefull

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: does anyone heat there snake room?

This is something I am very interested in. I am working to design a snake room where there is a small insulated room built inside of the snake room, (right in the middle). And when the tubs are slid into this insulated room half of the tub goes into this inner "room" while the other half of the tub is on the other side of the insulated wall and exposed to the outer "room". That way I could do away with heat tape altogether and just keep the inner room in the low 90s and the outer room around 80. And tubs could be housed in all four sides of the inner room leaving about a four foot walkway around the outside. Looks good on paper!

Thanks

I built two small rooms in my garage. One for the main collection and one for quarantine. I insulated the walls and heat each room with an oil-filled radiator. The rooms stay at about 81 to 83 degrees. Works good.
    1.4.0 normal
    1.0.0 lemon pastel
    1.0.0 woma

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Living in the South heat isn't as much of an issue as having to much heat. I have an AC unit that keeps my room at 80 degrees in the summer and I just use oil filled heaters and fans to keep it at 80-85 in the Winter. That coupled with the heat tape works great for me. I can even open a window or two in the winter with it freezing rain and spiting snow and not have a problem with the temps. .

Spend the extra money do it right the first time and don't worry about it.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

I converted my basement into my facility.

So far, I do not need to heat down there, and when it's cooler it just makes the cool end cooler. The hot end stays the same and the middle is sufficently warm.

However, I do have space heaters if the weather gets tooo cold.

"Price has very little to do with QUALITY. Quality stands on its own merit and doesn't need a hefty price tag to prove its worth."

Banned
    Thanks

I do the same thing. I do not use heat tape or any type of heating besides ceramic heater fans and radiator heater with a humidifer.. I shoot all the enclosures every day with a temp gun.. and the ends of the enclosure against the walls stays around 80 and the front stays around 83... It works out well, and have nver had issues with feeding, shedding or anything.

Thanks

I actually got lucky. The upstairs bedroom is a loft, and fortunately the AC doesnt reach that far, which gives me consistent ambient temps of 80 and humidity stays about 50%. SO in a way, my landlords built me a snake room 5 years ago lol
    0.1 Redtail Boa
    1.0 Normal ball python
    0.0.2 Goldfish
    0.0.1 Parakeet

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

My snake room stays as 80-82 year round, during the summer I do not do anything (the basement naturally stays at those temps), during the winter I use Oil filled space heaters hooked on a Ranco Thermostat.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Being up north, I do heat my snake room. Oil Filled Heater on a Ranco tstat. Keeps it a nice toasty 82F year round. During the breeding season I do drop the ambient room temps to 78-80.
    Jason

Thanks

We have all of our snakes in a room just off to the side in the basement. I was also thinking of just heating the room and using UTHs for the hot side. Mainly b/c with all the heat lamps now it is making the whole basement a bit too warm for the rest of us warm blooded roommates. I had already put a humidifier in the room b/c al lthe snakes humidities were a bit low. Seemed to work since my BCO and RTB both shed perfectly this last time.
    ~Will

1.0 Argentine Boa
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    2.1 Kenyan Boas (1.1 anery)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa
    1.0 Colombian RT Boa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast