Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,477

1 members and 3,476 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Swapping light for 2nd UTH...Opinions Please

I'm having issues keeping humidity up so I had a thought and before I act on it, I wanted to get opinions to find out if it was reasonable or stupid!

Right now I have a UTH on the warm side and a red light on the cool side, both controlled by dimmers. With minor adjustments and a watchful eye I can keep my temps within target range. But, as you probably guessed, the light is zapping my humidity. If I don't mist it throughout the day, the humidity will drop to about 38%. So, I was thinking...would it be ok to swap the light out for a second UTH to help with the humidity? She is in the warmest part of the house but without the light the cool side will drop to the low to mid 70 range. I'm confident that I can keep her cool side hide where it needs to be but what about the ambient temp? Do you think that having a second UTH, in place of the light, will cause any problems? I can't imagine the ambient temp getting warmer but I'm worried about it not getting warm enough? I do have a second accurite that I could put in there, too. And, I hardly, if ever, see her on the cool side as it is. I'm a night owl for the most part so I do check on her at night quite often and even then she is almost never on the cool side.

What is your thought on this? Cost of the second UTH is not a factor since I have to replace the bulb every couple of months anyhow.
    ~ Tanya
    0.1 Normal

Thanks

Re: Swapping light for 2nd UTH...Opinions Please

If your home temps get that cool, then a second UTH is needed. Lamps just don't cut it except as a booster to ambient temps.

The thing is, you will need a second Thermostat as well unless you have a Herpstat II or Pro. An uncontrolled UTH can reach 120+ in no time...
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Re: Swapping light for 2nd UTH...Opinions Please

I have both the UTH and the light on dimmers so if I swapped the light out for a second UTH, I would put that on a dimmer as well. one of these days I'll upgrade the dimmers to something more ideal. Maybe I just need to add a second UTH and dimmer to what I already have instead of swapping out. I think I'll put that second accurite in there to measure both surface and ambient temps on both sides to see what I get.

UGH....I am really hating this viv thing right now but a tub is totally out of the question for sure.
    ~ Tanya
    0.1 Normal