Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,245

1 members and 3,244 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: Do u use U.T.H's

Voters
408. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, love them

386 94.61%
  • No, Stay away!!!!!

22 5.39%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Re: Under Tank Heaters?????

Flexwatt or heat cable with a GOOD thermostat (I use Herpstats, they're as good or better than Helix, and cost less).

The thermostat is more important than the heat source, IMO.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

I found the same thing happening with my heat lamp, it was sucking up all the humidity!!! Poke holes in foil and place heat lamp on top of it. Works like a charm, my humidity went up 20%!!!! it also stopped my terrarium from getting too hot. Alto recomend heat pad under hot side of your tank, just make sure theres no direct contact to your snake.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aj.gladding For This Useful Post:

python baller (11-11-2008),smason0820 (05-04-2011)

Thanks

I answered the poll yes, but with a condition...I definitely think what kind of UTH used plays a very big part...just as much as a quality thermostat.

I've tried Zoo Med UTH's in the past, and would advise you (or anyone) to avoid them (or similar stick on ones) like the plague...I had four of them, same size/wattage, installed in the exact same way on identical cages, plugged into the same thermostat, and the only one that heated to the proper temp, was the one with the thermostat probe...the others were way off, one going waaaaaay over 100F, the others were under 90F, and one was only in the low 70's, basically the room temp...

I currently use Ultratherm heat mats, from the Beanfarm.com, and I can't say enough good things about these UTH's...

I have the 11" X 23" or 11 X 28" size on all my plastic boa cages, I attach them with foil tape, underneath the cages, and then put a piece of Reflectix insulation over them, to help push the heat up into the cage, and keep it from escaping into the room...(the cage is upside down in these pics...)

Plastic on these cages is 1/4" thick, with 6 to eight layers of newspaper as bedding, and the heat gets through just fine...

And the foil tape is the only thing sticking the mat to the cage...if I ever need to remove or reposition the mat, I can do it safely (not so with the Zoo Med mats, which are ruined and dangerous if you peel them off)

The cage that has the thermostat probe, I just tape the probe in the middle of one side of the mat, has worked great, even with 6 mats on one thermostat the temps of each mat stay where they should be...

I use a Ranco on/off thermostat...was pretty expensive, but these thermostats are quality industrial ones...I feel really safe using them.

Hope this helps...
    Heather Martin

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ilovemylizard For This Useful Post:

Dianna (08-27-2009),kasmir (11-11-2008),python baller (11-11-2008),Vypyrz (05-25-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aj.gladding View Post
    I found the same thing happening with my heat lamp, it was sucking up all the humidity!!! Poke holes in foil and place heat lamp on top of it. Works like a charm, my humidity went up 20%!!!! it also stopped my terrarium from getting too hot. Alto recomend heat pad under hot side of your tank, just make sure theres no direct contact to your snake.
    never though of that. i'm going to try it later. good idea.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

do ultratherm's get warm enough? I see they are made to operate at 95 degrees, just wondering if there is a ever a problem in rooms that are generally of cooler temperatures

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    Yes they can get really hot and cook a snake... IF they are NOT used with a thermostat or dimmer at least!!
    The Thermostat to control the output of heating devices is the MOST important piece of snake keeping equipment there is!

You should always try to go with belly heat (aka under the enclosure heat sources such as UTH pads and Flexwatt heat tape) for most snakes since they naturally get their warmth from surfaces... not from ambient air or sunlight except in very few cases. UTHs are great when used properly with a controller. Your friend obviously never used a thermostat, had a UTH burn out, and swore off them without even trying to control them.
    The instructions on most pads are out of date and don't even consider regulation methods.
    I beg to differ.
    I use RHPs and they work just like the sun...they heat surfaces which then release heat into the atmosphere. This way, you get overhead AND belly heat. I have a 24" high cage, which with the RHP creates a hot spot of 90F on a shelf and the floor is about 82-84.
    My problem with belly heat is that when it's used with loose substrates the amount of substrate can drastically change the temperature; i.e., when substrate is moved an inch above the rest of the substrate the temperature can decrease by many degrees. You don't have this problem with RHPs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smith285 View Post
    do ultratherm's get warm enough? I see they are made to operate at 95 degrees, just wondering if there is a ever a problem in rooms that are generally of cooler temperatures
    I was looking at these, but I found a place that sells prewired flexwatt for half as much and I went for that. Since my basement is in the mid sixties, I was afraid that the Ultratherm wouldn't be strong enough for a ball python.

What would you guys suggest for a reliable, cheap thermostat? I have a rheostat right now and was thinking about upgrading, but a nice helix one costs twice as much as the snakes it would be heating (all together!).

Thanks

What specific type of UTH would you use with the tub type enclosure?

Thanks

For me, the best ones are Ultra Therms. These mats originated in Scotland, I believe, but are also sold in the states as T Rex Cobra. They rarely overheat. I still use a thermostat anyway, though.

RBI has them for the best prices I think.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I am a new owner to a ball python. I have only had it for less then a week. I was told to set up my tank with a hide on the warm side and a hide on the cool side so the snake can move to one or the other depending on the temp it wants to be at. I only ever notice it in the cool hide. IS it just taking the one hide because it is new to the tank and could be scared to venture out yet? Or could it just be there becuase it wants to be that temp? I just want to be sure it is at the temp it wants to be so it can be healthy.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast