Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,495

2 members and 3,493 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: how much do you handle your ball python?

Voters
638. You may not vote on this poll
  • daily

242 37.93%
  • couple times a week

295 46.24%
  • once a week

79 12.38%
  • more than a weeks time

22 3.45%
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: how many times do you handle your snake?

I get mine out almost every evening except after feeding i give them48 hours
    out of the 7 i have they all have there own personality some will sit in my hand or on my arm while im on the computor and some will keep mooching about and wont keep still none of them seem to be stressed infact there all more than willing to come out when i let them.

Rick

Thanks

My normal and Pastel love to be taken out, i handle them about 1 every other day. As for my cinny, well he is a different story. He rarely likes to come out and is always seems to get a little stressed at the situation, so i only get him out about once a week.

Registered User gp_dragsandballs's Avatar
    Thanks

I handle all my animals more than 3 times a week depending on my schedule.

On the subject of if the enjoy handling...

Sometimes when I pet my gf's leopard gecko she arches her back like a cat or dog would when they are enjoying a good pet. My red tail will also do it on occasion. So they must like some contact with us but like it was said before, we don't know how they think so I guess we will forever wonder.

I know for sure 1 of my snakes doesn't care for handling. My banana king always acts calm for about 5 mins then goes for my pinkie finger. lol

Thanks

Yeah I heard that also about 15 minutes a week think I read it in one of my books. I also asked the guy I bought the snake from who works in a pet store and he had a puzzled look on his face and said he never heard of anything like that. That seems to be a common problem you get 100 different answers to one question and very few if any are the same so your left to wing it and take your chances.

Thanks

I dont really handle mine all that often. Most of mine are larger snakes so handling them once they get a certain size kind of becomes a pain. I clean cages at least once a week so they get pulled out once a week and put in a rubbermaid. If they are shedding ill soak them in the tub and usually once a month ill let them stroll through the house just to get some excersize out of the cage. But I could not actually go in there and handle each indivdual snake I own every day. My back would go out. It hurts pulling chloe out of a 6 foot vision thats on the bottom. lol. Ill handle my balls more and my baby burms just because its easier. But all my big ones are hook trained and Ill usually pet them when I refill there water bowls. There are exceptioins to that though I do not pet any of my retics in there cage and one or two of my burms in there cage just because they have CRAZY feeding responses so if they dont see the hook there are ready to go lol. But Ive went a long periods of time before not actually interacting with some of my snakes and Ive never noticed them getting an attitude because of that or anything. In my experience lizards become ill if you dont handle them alot. I bought a bearded dragon for my son and he loved it for a few weeks but then he didnt really bother with him anymore and I gave it food and water and cleaned its cage but I didnt really have time to interact with it and take care of all the snakes also so I just never messed with it. And after a few weeks he became alil monster. But I can sit there with my burms and not mess with them for months other then cleaning there cage, feeding, and watering and 3 months later get them out and handle them and they will be fine. I mean they hiss but most of my burms hiss I believe I have 3 that dont. Just my 2 cents sorry I wrote a page lol

Thanks

When we got Jake, we handled him daily, and it took 3 weeks for him for feed. We haven't handled him since because we waited for 4 successful feeds, and now he's in shedding mode. Once he finishes shedding and I clean his set-up I will get him out once a week and see how he handles that.
    Jake the Snake Normal Ball Python
    Ira Albino Corn Snake
    Zeke Anerythristic Corn Snake

Thanks

I have a ball python going through shed I think right now his eyes got grey then white as white can be now back to grey yet no skin has come off. I handled him a bit this morning and tried to soak him and I am convinced that I have the only BP on the planet who is hydrophobic. He looks at me when I put him in the sink as if to say "What the hell do you think your doing?" Then he high tail's it out of the sink fast as he can dont know why though.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I think this was covered in your other thread mentioning this but just in case.

They go blue then clear up a couple of days ( aproximately ) before they actually shed.

You shouldn't try and soak them at this stage as it can actually make the shed worse not better.

Just get the humidity into the 60-60% range and leave the poor snake in peace.

If the shed does turn out to be a bad one then soaking afterwards can help by softening the old skin but you always have to make sure the water temperature is around 80-84f - if the water feels hot to you it is far too hot for your snake.

Generally during the shed cycle the snakes prefer to left alone and spend most of the time hiding.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

yeah thanks he did shed last night as I have mentioned in the past this is the first snake I ever owned so everything he goes through is the first time I have ever gone through it myself. Now that I have experienced his shed cycle I am better prepared for the next one. Only reason I touched him at all was because he hadn't moved for about three days and I started to wonder if he was still among the living. Like I said before now I know what to expect for next time. Thanks

Banned
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: how many times do you handle your snake?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    snakes do not get enjoyment from being held. Handling is a very stressful thing and is usually not enjoyable.
    However, a snake can get accustomed to being held and not mind it. All of the signs that he enjoys it are probably opposite of what you think they are. Some snakes shouldn't be held as often because they get more stressed than others. It depends on the snake.

Holding daily is fine as long as you don't have him out for hours and you leave him be for 48 hours after feeding.
    I usually handle my snakes a couple times a week. Some don't mind, some hate it. :]
    Quote Originally Posted by reptiman93 View Post
    ok i understand now they dont like being held. Doesnt hurt to believe though :d

some people really just are tuff dont kare about peoples feeling towards animals or what you believe in .... Wow .... But im wit u man keep believing though cause i do

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast