Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,247

2 members and 2,245 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

View Poll Results: how much do you handle your ball python?

Voters
638. You may not vote on this poll
  • daily

242 37.93%
  • couple times a week

295 46.24%
  • once a week

79 12.38%
  • more than a weeks time

22 3.45%
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: how many times do you handle your snake?

I have around 50 snakes last count. Thats alot of snakes, big and small, but I spend anywere from 2 to 3 hrs. a night in my snake room. On the weekends w/ the kids we easily spend 3 to 4 hrs. Sat & Sun. My bearded dragon's are all in the house so they are handled often threw the week. My girls take care of our lizards for the most part.
    Education is Everything.......

Thanks

i thought two snakes was alot of work. haha must be a packed house
    REPTIMAN(T+G+K)

Thanks

Wow, it's interesting to see all the different opinions on a topic like this. I've had my BP for three weeks now. I've gotten to feed twice in the last week, which I consider appropriate because he's young, the pet store was only getting him to feed on pinks every other week, and I'm feeding pinks (on their recommendation). He first fed for me Tuesday of last week, then again today, both times with a good strong strike. Yes, it took a while to get his interest, but then he was ON it!

I've definitely seen a difference in my snake's behavior about handling since I first acquired him. He wasn't overly shy when I first got him - I handled him at the pet store and was positively impressed by how he relaxed as I held and stroked him. When he first came home, I gave him a lot of space and time. After a few days, I started handling him - as much as anything because I needed to clean his enclosure! - and I had the same experience as at the store: first a ball, then a relaxed snake.

Now, I will take him out of the enclosure when he's out of his hide and when I have time (he's out a lot in the morning, when I'm getting ready for work!). I spend ten to fifteen minutes with him, and he explores up my arms, around the space where we're sitting (at the desk in my office) and generally seems comfortable with all of it.

Do I know how he feels about it? Of course not. I'm not a snake, and I can't do a Vulcan mind meld with him, either. But he is not demonstrating behaviors that suggest he is avoiding the situation or responding to a threat associated with handling. Moreover, I handled him this morning for a while, and fed him this evening. It doesn't appear to be traumatizing him too badly.

A newbie's opinion, for what it's worth....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OldHippie View Post
    Wow, it's interesting to see all the different opinions on a topic like this. I've had my BP for three weeks now. I've gotten to feed twice in the last week, which I consider appropriate because he's young, the pet store was only getting him to feed on pinks every other week, and I'm feeding pinks (on their recommendation). He first fed for me Tuesday of last week, then again today, both times with a good strong strike. Yes, it took a while to get his interest, but then he was ON it!

I've definitely seen a difference in my snake's behavior about handling since I first acquired him. He wasn't overly shy when I first got him - I handled him at the pet store and was positively impressed by how he relaxed as I held and stroked him. When he first came home, I gave him a lot of space and time. After a few days, I started handling him - as much as anything because I needed to clean his enclosure! - and I had the same experience as at the store: first a ball, then a relaxed snake.

Now, I will take him out of the enclosure when he's out of his hide and when I have time (he's out a lot in the morning, when I'm getting ready for work!). I spend ten to fifteen minutes with him, and he explores up my arms, around the space where we're sitting (at the desk in my office) and generally seems comfortable with all of it.

Do I know how he feels about it? Of course not. I'm not a snake, and I can't do a Vulcan mind meld with him, either. But he is not demonstrating behaviors that suggest he is avoiding the situation or responding to a threat associated with handling. Moreover, I handled him this morning for a while, and fed him this evening. It doesn't appear to be traumatizing him too badly.

A newbie's opinion, for what it's worth....
    You may be feeding your snake too small of prey. I don't know the age or size of your snake, but I recently obtained a baby that had only 2 meals before I got her and I started her off with young mice that are past the hopper stage every 5 days. As you only have made a few posts I will mention that there are care sheets that you can click on that are located in the upper left corner of the main page of this site. Have fun with your snake!
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks

I handle my Kyros when ever I get the chance and when he is in the mood. He is a pretty sweet little guy. I can hold him and inspect him even when he is shedding! ( I only hold him during shedding when I have to clean out his cage, which I do 2 days after a meal( cause of the blood), and every time he poops) I take Kyros everywhere with me. There is nothing like the sound of people saying " is that a real snake? Does it bite? do they make good pets?" I LOVE educating people about Ball pythons. My favorite part of the day is when someone earlier on in the day says " Ew keep that thing away from me!" then later on saying " I want a ball python they arn't gross at all they are really sweet and fun to hold!" Melts my heart! Yay for Snakes!
    ~*Luna*~ The crazy Sagittarius/Snake BP Lady
    Cal and Ki's Proud Mommy.
    ~~* Goddess Bless*~~
    1.0.0- Normal Ball Python (Kyros "Ki")
    0.1.0- Normal*Spider sibling*Ball Python(Calypso"Cal")
    1.0.0- Betta fish (Leonidas "Leo")
    Steve Irwin (2/22/62 - 9/4/06)
    Sagittarius- Shockingly blunt since the beginning of time!

Thanks

I handle my snakes everyday. The only days i dont handle them is after the eat or when they are shedding. Other than that i like to handle them everyday or any free time i get!

Thanks

i also handle my snake everyday, it doesnt seem to mind being handled at all, he just stays around my neck, i will not handle it after feeding though.

Thanks

I am new to ball pythons, but not new to snakes or other animals. I LOVE my new baby. I handle him every day except for the two days post feeding. And, now that he's in shed, I'll leave him alone.

When I first got him, he would ball up when I picked him up, but not now. I think he recognizes my scent and realizes that I'm not going to eat him as I would have by now. Maybe he doesn't "enjoy" being held, but he certainly doesn't seem stressed about it. I am warm and soft, what could be bad about that. My iguana used to climb in bed with me and cuddle up. I didn't delude myself into thinking he loved me, but he sure did like my warmth and softness. I don't think men are any different. I'm mean, often ill-tempered and sarcastic, but attractive to men none the less. Warm and soft goes a long way at every level of the animal kingdom.

Thanks

I wouldn't say I handle them too often, but I disturb them almost daily. Really short period usually, take them out, check them over .. and put them back (the usual shed and feeding precautions obviously).

It give them a little interaction, I get to see how they are doing, and check their enclosure to see if I need to take any further action.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

after having my snake long enough to give her a meal and then let her chill for more than 48 hrs, i took her out this evening

i plan on taking her out daily except during shed and after feedings

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast