Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,251

0 members and 3,251 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

bp not thermoregulating

This is maybe a stupid question. It should be beginners stuff, but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything ok.

The rescue bp that I took in about a month ago has not moved from his cool side hide since I got him. He's eaten 4 or 5 times already, but not once have I seen him move. He hasn't had a bowel movement yet, either. No urates or feces or anything.

I don't have any photos of his tub, but it's a 32q sterillite with two of those black, plastic hides that everyone and their mother has. There is newspaper in each hide to make it more secure since he's tiny, and there is newspaper crumpled up all over. He's completely covered no matter where he goes. The water dish is right in the middle. The cool side is at 80* and the warm side is at 90*. Humidity is at 54%

I check on him every day, usually more than once. I have seen him drink, but never once have I seen him move from the cool side hide.

It worries me because he's gotten 4 meals in him and yet to have a bowel movement. There's no bulge in him at all so I don't know where it's all going.

Should I be concerned or just wait it out?

Thanks

Re: bp not thermoregulating

I don't know if this works with balls, but you could try and give it a warm water bath to try and loosen up some of the poo. I think a month is starting to get too long without pooping.

I don't know what to say about the thermo-regulating though, that is kind of strange.
    Evan
    0.0.1 Sinaloan Milk Snake (Vegas)
    0.0.1 Colombian Boa Constrictor (Ticuna)
    Feel free to correct me on my grammar.

Thanks

It worries me because he's gotten 4 meals in him and yet to have a bowel movement. There's no bulge in him at all so I don't know where it's all going.
    My little "rescue" was the same way - he ate and ate and ate... didn't poop until well after third third meal! He's also a fan of the cool side as well, even though his temps are spot on (80 on cool side, 91 warm side).

During the day he's hiding, but at night he's a little acrobat. Have you checked on yours in the middle of the night? However, he may still sense you coming in advance and zip into the nearest hide if he's out and about.

Just my thoughts... but I'm no expert.

Thanks

If he's a rescue he may be playing catch up on meals, so there might not be anything extra to poop out. It will vary on what size he is and the size meals he's being offered. I wouldn't worry too much personally, if you have rechecked the husbandry and everything is spot on.

One sure way to get my bps to go is to clean the cage. It works almost every time.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Oops I meant to comment on the thermoregulating as well.

As long as husbandry is good, and you are offering two identical hides then you're most likely fine. Of course, that's only my humble opinioin.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

but remember, if you do give him/her a 'warm' bath, if it feels warm to you, it's probably quite hot for the snake. Our body temp is 36c and thats pretty warm for the little one coming from the cool side of the tank, into the hot water!

Thanks

My girl prefers the cool side as well. Even after meals, which has me concerned. But I just assume she knows what she's doing. Temps are 82 and 92 in her tub. If everything is spot on, I wouldn't worry too much. Good luck with the little guy.
    0.1-Normal BP-Makena

Thanks

Hey mindibun, I am a beginner, but I've been reading like crazy That VPI book, "Ball Pythons", states that digesting BP's will actually raise their core body temps 2-3 degrees above ambient temps- they say that they keep their growing BPs in small enclosures without basking areas with moderate ambient temps-
    ]:Lisa

Thanks

Ok, good to know about the "playing catch up" on meals so there not being anything to expel.

I have checked on him in the middle of the night. He just sits in the same spot.

I know about the water temps. Usually I'm the one explaining that to people. Glad someone else knows it too!

And I have the VPI book - it's a goldmine of info. -lol-

I guess I'll just wait it out, then. For those who are curious, the rescue was this one:

5 years old, and axanthic-looking from lack of nutrition. Honestly, though, he still looks EXACTLY the same. No weight gain, no color change, no nothing.

Thanks

I can't believe he's five years old! He's pretty small isn't he? Does lack of nutrition affect coloration? Makes sense. Really lacking the yellow isn't he? I ask a lot of questions, don't I?
    Last edited by palmer; 08-10-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: forgot the s on makes
    ]:Lisa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast