Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,555

0 members and 3,555 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New waterfowl cuties

Aren't they so sweet? A lady was giving them away, and I couldn't resist. Used to breed fancy exotic ducks, and I miss the sound of quacking.

This is a Saxony drake (male) similar in color to a Mallard, but heavier. It's a meat breed, but the hubby immediately became attached and named him "Fred".

This is a Muscovy duckling, another meat breed. I haven't sexed it yet, but I believe it to be a drake.

These two are female Khaki Campbell ducklings, an awesome egg laying breed, and a favorite breed of mine.

And the real stars! Six Toulouse goslings! These are awesome tame heavy geese. Already they are super friendly, they follow us around and nibble on anything they can reach. I can pick them up and they just "talk" to me without squirming. I plan on holding onto 1.2, or 2.2, not sure yet, as they pair up for life. They are an excellent meat goose as well, but hubby already said they are too cute to eat, and any extras will have to be sold. He's such a softie.

(Though I sorta agree!)

Please don't mind the mess! Waterfowl are horrendously messy birds, and these were taken while they were in the small pen, and no matter how much I clean, they just mess it up again!

Thanks

Re: New waterfowl cuties

Aww, I want to keep chickens and ducks!
    DARN I just want to live on a farm in general! :]

They are super cute. You should sell me one of those goslings. I'll keep it in my closet!

Meat breeds my arse! I'm a vegetarian for a reason.
    Also, out of curiosity, how do you sex them? I thought with birds that had to be done surgically or feather genetic testing.

Thanks

It was my understanding with ducks that males are brightly colored, and females try to blend in as much as possible?

Thanks

I want some ducks. They are super cute, especially the babies.
    George

Thanks

Thankfully, with a little practice, most species of waterfowl aren't hard to sex. Yes, most of the time its obvious as they feather out due to color, but not always.

Like with the goslings, they'll continue to be similiar in color and stature.

I sex them in a way that is pretty close to popping ball pythons. With the proper technique, you can evert the organs of a male from the vent and therefore verify sex.

Here is a good link that demonstrates:

Goose Reproduction

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Epona142 View Post
    Thankfully, with a little practice, most species of waterfowl aren't hard to sex. Yes, most of the time its obvious as they feather out due to color, but not always.

Like with the goslings, they'll continue to be similiar in color and stature.

I sex them in a way that is pretty close to popping ball pythons. With the proper technique, you can evert the organs of a male from the vent and therefore verify sex.

Here is a good link that demonstrates:

Goose Reproduction
    I saw that on Dirty Jobs.
    It looked like a horrible experience to be honest, lol.
    George

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Awww! They are all so cute! My mom just bought some Muscovy ducks, she sounds a lot like you! I couldn't tell you all the kinds of ducks she has. My little sister took some of those really small Madrin(??) ducks to 4-H this year.

My favorite are the Runner Ducks, they look so funny! The cyotes picked them off pretty quick though....

The Kaki ducks look really cute! You'll have to post pictures of them when they're big!

Thanks

Awww too cute! I used to keep duckies years ago when I lived in Texas. I miss having them

Do yours follow you around everywhere? Mine did. It was the cutest thing.

Thanks

I've yet to catch that Dirty Jobs episode, much to my charign. I believe he's at the Mcmurry Hatchery. Does he sex more than chicks? Chicks are super hard to sex, their organs aren't as obvious in difference. It's more of a guess, I don't even bother to try vent sexing chicks.

I'll definetely post more pictures as they grow, and the little goslings follow us everywhere! They are absolutely darling, and if I'm not careful, I'll end up keeping them all! Irresistable little things.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Epona142 View Post
    I'll definetely post more pictures as they grow, and the little goslings follow us everywhere! They are absolutely darling, and if I'm not careful, I'll end up keeping them all! Irresistable little things.
    Oh my goodness have you ever had geese before? We've got quite a few of those toulouse geese and I just want to kick them every time I go out in the horse pasture. They won't SHUT UP! They are cute and cuddly when they are babies, but my land when they grow up......

You can have ours

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast