Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,216

1 members and 3,215 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Swollen Head Wound

My BP just had a case of mites that I have finally taken care of. Apparently she had used the screen top to scratch at them or something because she has a wound on her head. She has had it for about 2 weeks and have been treating it with neosporin. It is swollen pretty bad so I took her to the vet. The vet did a fecal smear and floatation. He gave an Ivermex Injection-Dewormer which he found from the test. He also gave me 2 syrenges of Baytril Oral Antibiotic. He also stuck a needle in the wound to see if any infection would come out but there was not any. She seems to be acting normal and ate a mouse yesterday. The only change I have noticed is that she is drinking slightly more than usual. The only time I usually see her drink is right after a meal but I have seen her drink a couple of times today. Sorry this is so long but I am just concerned and want to hear what you all think.

Thanks

Re: Swollen Head Wound

for what its worth i think you did the right thing. just follow the vets instructions and i hope everything will be ok.
    1.0 husband 2.0 children * 1.1 doggies * 1.1 kitties * 0.1 dumerils boa * 1.0 argentine boa * 1.1 normal ball pythons * 1.0 normal kenyan boa * 0.1 anery kenyan boas * 1.0 tokay gecko * 1.0 russian tortoise * 1.0 beardie *

Thanks

Polydipsia (increased water consumption) is a side effect of Baytril. I wouldn't worry too much about it since she is eating (a good sign).

Thanks

oh ok well that would make sense about her drinking so much if thats a side effect. I am more concerned about the swelling cause she has a knot on her head right between her eyes. I am still learning about snake physiology but could it be from the wound healing and be caused by new skin growth. The reason I ask is because I know when they shed that fluid builds up under the old skin which causes them to have the blue stage. I guess my question is could there be fluid build up at the wound site due to new skin growth. I have noticed a few of the scales are starting to flake off from the site.

Thanks

I believe (from what I've read) you will see a bump on her head until she sheds it out. Then you may find a lump of tissue there in her old shed, and her wound now healing over.

Sounds like the Vet was very knowledgeable, congrats, she sounds well on her way to recovery.

Thanks

That is kind of what I thought but was not sure. She does not really seem to mind the neosporin application but she cannot stand the baytril. Which I cant really say that I blame her but she has to have it. The vet said that she looks very clean and healthy. He was very impressed with how much I have researched and how knowledgeable that I was. Which the thanks really goes to you fine people on this site since that is where I get 99% of my knowledge about my herps.