Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,179

1 members and 3,178 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Feeding problems

My hog has missed her last two feedings and I'm starting to get worried. When she first arrived on 6/26 she was 19grams and eating fuzzy mice. Today she is 25grams and hasn't eaten since 7/23 (10 days ago). She's been eating every 5 days with no problem, but now refused the last two attempts. Instead of showing a feeding response and eating the mouse, she just seems either scared of the mouse or just completely not interested. Both times after refusal I left the mouse in the cage with her over night to no avail.

I know a ten day fast is nothing to get worried about yet. But this is the first time any of my snakes has refused a meal.

So, I'm questioning my husbandry. I had been keeping her into a small 6qt tub w/ aspen heated from an UTH. But I started noticing she wasn't as active as when I got her and mostly hung out on the coolest parts of the tub (her warm end was 92, cool end high 70s. Gradient in between. The room she was kept in was very dark and I was providing no photo period.

After the first refusal, I did some research, talked to her breeder, and came back with the idea of putting her in a 10gal tank with a white basking lamp for heat. The lamp is on a timer so she's getting 16 hours of day and 8 hours of night. During the day, her highest basking temp is about 90 and the coolest corner of the tank is 80ish. I've never seen the warm spot over 92 or below 85. At night the ambient temp is about 75.

However, she refused again yesterday and last night. Does my husbandry sound ok? Should I just keep waiting and hoping? Is it too early to try any tricks like tuna scenting or taking the water bowl away for while?

Thanks

Re: Feeding problems

id wait, mine will go a week or two sometimes without eating. usually if mine doesnt take it within the first 2 minutes its not gonna take it. As long as she not losing to much weight she should be fine. Do you pre-scent?

Thanks

Good to know, thanks! I haven't tried pre-scenting but it's worth a shot.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Western hogs can be as bad as ball pythons when it comes to going off feed.

When ours go off feed, I will place the food item in a small container (smallest kritter keeper works great) and put the hog in. I then partially bury the container in the substrate.

Works like a charm, I have yet to have even the pickiest hog not eat using this method.

Thanks

Well she spent the night with a fuzzy in a small deli cup but didn't touch it. I'm going to wait a week and try fish scenting. Really wish she would just eat so I can stop worrying. No weight loss at least.

Thanks

I would wait 5 days in between attempts as well.

Thanks

It happens. Hognoses like to go off feeding. If your hog does not seem lethargic and still has good energy don't worry. Worse possible thing to do is stand over your hog and watch it every second to make sure it eats. They can be a little shy. A deli cup should work well, or a SMALL paper bag. If you feel live, leave it live with the snake in the bag (or pillowcase if you can find a small enough one). If it doesn't eat it over night you can try scenting with tuna water (water not oil), or rub a hard boiled egg all over it. Hard boiled eggs aren't really got for your snake, but not harmful in small quantities.
    As long as it is active, alert, and has good muscle tone don't worry. A little weight loss is to be expected, too. But ONLY a little.
    I have two male hognose. One was aggressive and never missed a feeding, a little over a year old, and pretty big. He went off feedign for three weeks. I'm still waiting for him to start eating again, but since he stopped eating he is very tame, handlable, and probably one of the sweetest snakes i have in my collection. So, in my opinion, my hognose is going through moodswings associated with puberty (about the right age). I also have a younger male who stopped eating, but i'm not sure why. He has only missed one feeding, but ate like crazy before.
    So, give your snake time, check on them daily, and they'll eat once they get hungry. Just be happy you don't have a southern hognose that's going off feeding, they are a pain in the butt!

Thanks

Maybe this sounds weirds but I can't remember HOW I fed her before when she was eating. It was just so.. natural and normal that I didn't really analyze it much. Anyways, could part of the problem be that I'm trying to wiggle it around and make it seem alive? This is how my ball python likes it but I can't recall if she was previously responding to the dancing or just tolerated it. I'm asking cause when that next attempt day is here, I don't want to freak her out w/ the zombie fuzzy mouse dance if it's just going to stress her out. And then I don't just want to throw it in there and have her ignore it because she doesn't want dead prey.

Also, she's very alert and has become more active in her new lamp / tank setup. Today she poked her head out of the aspen and came slithering out when I opened her cage to handle her. She flicks her tongue a lot and tries to slowly burrow away when I have her. She gets crazy fast though if I let her roam free for a while and then try to catch her again. That's the only time I've ever seen her move fast.

One more thing. What do you guys think about trying live? She's never had live prey before. I'm worried a fuzzy could hurt her, so maybe multiple live pinkies?
    Last edited by spaceturtle; 08-07-2008 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks

You should be alright granted my last b.p. was alittle older than ur hog nose but he went 8 months refusing his meals. Just stay at it and don't give up.
    0.0.1 Ball Python

Thanks

Tried feeding her last night. I pre-scented from morning to noon by letting the fuzzy thaw out on top of her mesh tank lid. When I was ready to feed, I warmed it up a bit more in some hot water, and then placed both of them into a tub and closed the lip. After about an hour later, I came back to find what I thought was her swallowing the mouse. I was super excited until I looked closer... all she had really done was rest her head on top of it. I decided not to leave her in there if she wasn't going to eat, and put her back in her tank.

Also, I haven't been handling her at all lately just in case this is due to stress. Her temps for the last 2 weeks or so have been 92-95 warm and 79-82 cool with a 25watt white light bulb over a 10gal. For a while I had it on a timer, but I figured the temps were getting too low at night (around 70) so now the light is on 24/7.

Still no weight loss and I've caught her drinking water recently. She spends most of her time either burrowed down below her aspen or cruising the sides trying to get out. I've only seen her use her basking hide a few times lately.
    Last edited by spaceturtle; 08-14-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast