Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,315

3 members and 3,312 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Thanks

Re: lookng to buy baby snakes

Quote Originally Posted by rep_girl452 View Post
    i went to a pet store today to get food, but they didn't have enough frozen, so my boyfriend was asking the lady about lighting and tepms. she saisd as long as i can keep her temp rught for now that i don't need a heat spot, but when winter comes i will and i'll need a semi bigger red light. i dont right now because my room is already in the mid 80's during the day and the upper 70's at night.
    Pet stores are rarely going to give you proper advice, and more often than not, animals suffer in their care.

I trust the respected breeders at New England Reptile and VPI. You can't find better or more accurate information from people who have dedicated their lives to learning, understanding and breeding blood pythons.

It's always up to the keeper to stay on top of the most accurate and up to date advice. We can't force you to read anything, but I personally hope you don't listen to a pet store on snake husbandry.
    Last edited by littleindiangirl; 08-04-2008 at 07:49 PM.

Thanks

I second Connie's comments.
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks

all they sell are reptiles.

Thanks

I recently gave my son a leopard gecko that I hatched. I gave him a good deal of the supplies that he needed that I had on hand and wasn't using anymore and gave him a list of things to buy prior to taking the leo home. He stopped to get these things at a Pet store that sells no animals other than reptiles. One thing on the list was a thermostat. The pet store clerk told him that a thermostat was not necessary and was a waste of money. I would listen to what Connie is saying rather than a pet store guy.
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks

Even stores that sell only reptiles don't always know the things they should. The store I frequent is a reptile specialty store, with very experienced people, but they still don't carry everything they should, nor do they know everything.

The people here are knowledgeable through hands on experience. They have made the mistakes and learned from them, and pass on that learning. Stores can't care for their animals as they should or they would have too few in store to attract customer attention. Therefore, most employees go with what they see rather then look anything up. Even the owners of the stores don't necessarily have that hands-on knowledge since they have so much other stuff to work on and think about.

Trust the people here. Especially Kara and Kevin from NERD! They really know the business!
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rep_girl452 View Post
    i went to a pet store today to get food, but they didn't have enough frozen, so my boyfriend was asking the lady about lighting and tepms. she saisd as long as i can keep her temp rught for now that i don't need a heat spot, but when winter comes i will and i'll need a semi bigger red light. i dont right now because my room is already in the mid 80's during the day and the upper 70's at night.
    You need one side (cool side) 80-85 degrees and the other side (warm side) 90-95 degrees for the ball and 88-90 warm and 78-80 cool/ambient. There is NO need for the temperatures to go down EVER, not even at night if your not breeding.
    Just because a reptile store is all about reptiles, doesn't mean the employees that are hired know or have experience with reptiles.

That ladies advice would allow the snake to SURVIVE. You want your snake to THRIVE.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    You need one side (cool side) 80-85 degrees and the other side (warm side) 90-95 degrees for the ball and 88-90 warm and 78-80 cool/ambient. There is NO need for the temperatures to go down EVER, not even at night if your not breeding.
    Just because a reptile store is all about reptiles, doesn't mean the employees that are hired know or have experience with reptiles.

That ladies advice would allow the snake to SURVIVE. You want your snake to THRIVE.

She's talking about the blood, I think, not the ball. That's why this is now in the blood forum.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678