Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,286

2 members and 3,284 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Re: National Reptile Breeders Expo in another state.

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Jungle View Post
    The new laws aren't the reason several have pulled out. Its about making $. Daytona is known for the best deals and I dont think its profitable for some of them to go there and sell their animals for way cheaper because other people are. If its not profitable and is lot of work and a huge liability why do it. I have heard the shipping costs this year as WAY higher and many breeders ship all there animals there and back. Morphs aren't worth as much as they used to be and the math has to add up in order to make it worthwhile.

This happens to be one of the biggest reasons that we are not going to do the show this year. And we may never do the show for that reason.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

You are dead on. This is a very expensive show to vend at. I know. There are a lot of expenses that many attendees do not even think about.

Perhaps it is unfortunate that some of the larger names have jumped ship I think it might also be a blessing in disguise. I like a larger variety of animals (I know, this is BP.net!) and like to see more small breeders get out there and show off. I have made some of my best finds with them. Losing one vendor with 6 tables opens up table space for 3 or 4 smaller breeders with (hopefully) a variety of offerings. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of you are on the waiting list, especially if you live in or near Fl.?? Some turnover is good.

I have been attending this show every year since 1994 and have watched quite a few trends come and go. For awhile it was Leopard Geckos as far as the eye could see. People who weren't into Leopards griped (and even some who were). Bearded Dragons. Now it is BP's. Some people griped. It will change and has already started. New trends will pop up. Started to see the swing last year. I would speculate that a "big player" like BHB or Reptile Industries with incredible diversity does quite well every year, something for about everyone. Including cutting edge BP's. I know I always seek out their tables. Thats what keeps this business and hobby alive and well.

I don't think we will see any shortage of new and exciting BP's for some time to come nor will this show be going anywhere anytime soon. The managment seems to have a pretty good grip on things. You will also find that most of the large trade shows in any industry are based in "tourist" cities like Daytona, Vegas, etc. It is where people want to go. How many of you are looking forward to a big annual trip to Greensboro?? Nice place but not the same.
    Rich Goldzung

www.reptilebasics.com

Thanks

How about one in Houston? I will be there. Great post Rich!

Thanks

So would I!
    Rich Goldzung

www.reptilebasics.com

Thanks

Myrtle Beach!!!! LOL

Alan

Thanks

Does a Vegas show exist? That would be awesome! Reptiles, gambling, alcohol, shows... Snakes in Sin City! All those high rollers practically begging to give away their money.

Thanks

If ginormous boidae could naturalize in your state, you'd probably want to find a way to keep them from being dumped into your woods. Florida will never get the big boys out of the Everglades, now that they have settled in, but they have to try to slow them down. As a top predator, they are going to change the ecosystem on a scale we can't predict.

As for SC, there are no prohibitions on selling wild-caught or venomous creatures. The last and only show I've ever been to there had a horrendous number of doomed animals who had been yanked from their homes, thrown in a cage, and plunked onto the table. Many of them looked like they wouldn't make it a week and I doubt 80 percent will be alive six months from now.

So give me a state that cares enough to consider the consequences.

Thanks

sunny clovis CA
    falling down an up escalator,now thats an acomplishment to brag about

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123