Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,256

5 members and 3,251 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

noob breeder question

I recently invested in an Orange Ghost Het project link from seller in florida. He stated that these two were feeding nicely before shipment and were due to for a feeding before they made the trip to california.

They are in a common enclosure and seem to be quite happy. Very attached to one another. Here is a pic taken today:

I hae had them for about a week now and neither is feeding. Not sure if it related to the stress of being shipped cross country and placed in a new home or they doing the nasty. I have not seen interwound tails as of yet. They are always nestled into the cold side of the enclosure hanging over the water dish.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: noob breeder question

Wooooh. I cant see the pic, whats the size on them? There are 1,000 factors as to why they arnt eating. What is the temps in the enclosure? Whats the humidity?

Thanks

They need sperate enclosures, seperate them and try to feed them a week after you get that done. In most cases snake do not do well housed togeather and become stresses because of this. Please do some more research for proper husandry it will save you a great deal of headache in the future.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

House them separately provide proper husbandry leave them alone for a week (no handling) and than offer food.

Right now breeding should not be your priority; your priority is to get them to eat for you with consistency.

Note: Breeding does not mean permanent multiple housing.

Are you really prepared for breeding
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Did you get the original papers with them?

I only ask because if he has had them for 5 years shouldn't they have been big enough to breed for a couple of seasons already?

Do you have current weights for them?

Have a good read through our caresheet as it has some good info that might help you.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    They need sperate enclosures, seperate them and try to feed them a week after you get that done. In most cases snake do not do well housed togeather and become stresses because of this. Please do some more research for proper husandry it will save you a great deal of headache in the future.

I talked with Brian at BHB and he did not indicate that the animals should be housed seperate. Funny, there are so many opinions on this point. The local reptile shop (very reputable) also houses thier bps in a few common enclosures removing them for feeding and then returning to the common space. The hold backs have been healthy and feeding for years.

Everyone seems to have a very strong feeling either for or against the common cage concept.

They are now eating just fine after leaving them along for about a week. Feeding seperately in a large box then returning to the enclosure.

Thanks to all for the advise

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdumba$$ View Post
    I talked with Brian at BHB and he did not indicate that the animals should be housed seperate. Funny, there are so many opinions on this point. The local reptile shop (very reputable) also houses thier bps in a few common enclosures removing them for feeding and then returning to the common space. The hold backs have been healthy and feeding for years.
    The local reptile shop, no offense, we all have one, are about maximizing space and displaying as many animals as possible.

The qualititative experiences of those that have kept multiple snakes for years... I would take that over a store with an agenda.

I agree with Deb's comments.

Chances are not many people in BP forums are going to agree with you on the multiple housing and even the separate feeding enclosures.

These are not socialable animals, and there is no benefit to housing them together. If you have to remove an animal from it's habitat to feed it, then there is something not right about your habitat.

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Loft Lizard View Post
    there is no benefit to housing them together.
    I hate doing addendums... but I should have qualified that... the only benefit is to the keeper, not to the snake.

Benefits:

- a sense of the snake having a *friend*
    - saving space
    - saving money

Downfalls:

- stress
    - domination
    - spread of diseases (RIs can occur spontaneously)
    - unplanned gravidity (is that a word?)
    - inability to tell which animal regurged... had fecal troubles, etc.
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

I'd hate to disagree with you but I've been to the BHB facility and they do house seperately. The only snakes I personally saw housed together were adults that were placed that way for the purposes of breeding. All the other snakes I saw (and boy did I see a LOT of snakes) were in individual tubs in racks. Racks as far as the eye could see LOL.

They are your snakes and it's your decision. We're just trying to caution you that you may be rushing things not allowing these snakes to settle in, give them and yourself time to establish a feeding routine and for you to assess their fitness for breeding activity.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdumba$$ View Post

Everyone seems to have a very strong feeling either for or against the common cage concept.

They are now eating just fine after leaving them along for about a week. Feeding seperately in a large box then returning to the enclosure.

Thanks to all for the advise

Hey, email Brian back and ask if he keeps his animals together other than for breeding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast