Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,387

1 members and 3,386 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Are F/T Rodents Vitamin Difficient?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PRuqaWgQsG0

I hope i copy/pasted that youtube clip correctly.

So here i am this morning, watching snake stuff on youtube, and i came across this educational clip i tried to paste at the top.
    :20 into the clip, the guy says
    "Usually we suggest large mice to feed them as opposed to rats. Some people feed frozen. But remember, freezing kills thiamin, an important B vitamin, so feeding frozen all the time is not good unless you have a good vitamin supplementation."

I searched online trying to find more information about this claim that freezing destroys Thiamin. All i was able to find was a bunch of information about feeding garter snakes fish that have a lot of Thiaminase, an enzyme that destroys thiamin (vitamin B1)

I've heard this argument before that somehow F/T rodents are inferior to fresh killed or live rodents. Usually i just ignore it as being from a mis-informed, gore-loving person who believed something blindly instead of gathering more information before trying to regurgitate bad information to somebody else who might not know better. That's why i'm a little more concerned about this clip. It seemed to be an educational clip on how to care for ball pythons.

Anyways, what im asking for is any information that freezing rodents somehow reduces, destroys or alters the nutritional value. Any experiences or opinions are welcome, however i'm looking for specific information on what exactly happens to reduce the nutritional value of F/T rodents.

Also, I may be mistaken about this, but i thought that it was better to get snakes onto rats rather than leaving them on bigger and bigger mice because rats have less fat content. Like i said, i read something like that a while ago, i may be wrong.

Thanks,
    Tony

Thanks

Re: Are F/T Rodents Vitamin Difficient?

this video has been brough up before, I don't recall the what the concensus was though, personally, I don't really believe that...my bps are doing fine...

Thanks

There have been no published studies on the nutritional benefits when it comes to rats vs. mice as it relates to ball pythons.

I personally think you would need to have F/T in the freezer for over a year before you could "claim" that there may be some degenerate nutritional qualities. No studies have been done when it comes to bps so it would all be speculation.

I feed all but one of my collection F/T and they all, with the exception of one, grow like weeds.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Well, I don't believe it really. If that is the case and there is proof of it somewhere it probably doesn't have a whole lot of effects on my snakes because those that I feed frozen to, also get some pk every once in a while.

Meh, then again.. how can you trust a guy who has an enclosure set up with a log hide and only one hide. :]

Thanks

To be fair, it may be something that has long-term effects. Something that wouldn't be noticed until 10+ years down the road.

Thanks

Very true, its a shame there isn't more info available on the subject.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger