Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,288

4 members and 3,284 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: When did these morph's show up????

People used to think that the white on pieds was a fungus, and so they didn't want them (according to what I've read on the matter).

Thanks

Long long long time ago they used to worship ball pythons in some african tribes...it was know as python worship, the barker book talks about it, they had some white snakes!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

it still goes on today in some tribes.

Thanks

Let me reiterate my previous statement of saying that morphs have been around forever. Saying that would be wrong, but morphs being around for quite some time would be more appropriate.

As far as lots of them being around in the wild. A little more comes into play than just their ability to avoid being eaten to account for their numbers.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

czphotography

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by panthercz View Post
    As far as lots of them being around in the wild. A little more comes into play than just their ability to avoid being eaten to account for their numbers.
    Please explain your ideas.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PythonWallace View Post
    Please explain your ideas.
    Some quick things as I'm not going to write a dissertation on natural selection:
    What are the statistical odds of a ball python reaching maturity in the wild? They aren't the greatest, so what would the odds be a lone morph hatching out and reaching breeding age? Then what are the odds that morph successfully breeding and passing on it's traits? Perhaps it's a male and breed with a female but that female had already bred and none of the offspring are the morphs or she slugs out. If that male morph missed out on just one season, then who's to say it even survives to the next breeding season?
    Then you got even worse odds if that morph is recessive.

You may actually get a small pocket of morphs, say pastel's in one area, then a predator comes in (say a honey badger) and eats that small isolated group. Well there went all your pastels. Same could go for a disease wiping them out. Or humans coming in and catching all the snakes for food or the leather trade. NERDS albino water monitor was found at a skinning station. I can only imagine the number of morphs killed over the last couple hundred years for food or leather that we don't know about.

Inevitably some will always make, hence why we have the morphs we do.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

czphotography

Thanks

Oh and let me add that in 50,000 years, who knows, perhaps the "normal" ball python will no longer exist and is completely replaced by a morph. Perhaps that morph will be better suited base on pattern to surviving and over time end up replacing the "normal" phenotype.

czphotography

Thanks

Oh and let me add that in 50,000 years, who knows, perhaps the "normal" ball python will no longer exist and is completely replaced by a morph. Perhaps that morph will be better suited base on pattern to surviving and over time end up replacing the "normal" phenotype.
    And maybe, that's already happened. :]
    Natural selection plays a big part in this.. as humans we find two genes that we want and we're able to breed those. Whats the real chance of those genes actually meeting the wild? Lets say theres a wild Albino.. what are the chances of it meeting another Albino? Slim to none, so if it breeds it's probably going to breed to a normal creating hets. What are the chances of those hets surviving and meeting other hets or albinos? A bit higher because the albino parent is still around as well as the brothers and sisters, but thats still an isolated area, where albino animals don't blend too well so they would obviously not have a very good chance of survival.
    Most eggs layed by ball pythons in the wild too don't make it, are eaten, or the hatchlings die.

Thanks

First let me say that I didn't mean to sound like I was picking on you, or anybody. I don't even think I read your earlier post before I posted. I really don't have any answers and I think it's an interesting topic.
    Some quick things as I'm not going to write a dissertation on natural selection:
    What are the statistical odds of a ball python reaching maturity in the wild? They aren't the greatest, so what would the odds be a lone morph hatching out and reaching breeding age? Then what are the odds that morph successfully breeding and passing on it's traits? Perhaps it's a male and breed with a female but that female had already bred and none of the offspring are the morphs or she slugs out. If that male morph missed out on just one season, then who's to say it even survives to the next breeding season?

The morphs are obviously out there in small numbers. That being said, the chances are the same as the normals in the area. I also think that ball pythons have a pretty good rate of surviving and reproducing. They obviously have preditors, but the shear numbers that are found in small pockets of Ghana, Togo and Benin, even after exporting hundreds of thousands of them year after year says a lot about how hardy they are in their natural environment.

Then you got even worse odds if that morph is recessive.

I understand that, I'm just talking about the subtle dominant and co-dominant morphs for now since the hets are visable when they are collected.

You may actually get a small pocket of morphs, say pastel's in one area, then a predator comes in (say a honey badger) and eats that small isolated group. Well there went all your pastels.

That makes sense, but we're talking about the morphs that we know are there, and if they've been around so long they would have thousands of years or more to repopulate. Your scenario would probably even have the opposite effect than what you are saying. If an area of BPs gets dessimated, and the area has, say normals and sables, the normals would be just as easy of a target. Once the survivors started repopulating the area, the sables would have less competition from normals and should soon make up a good size of the local population. At least in my mind.

Same could go for a disease wiping them out. Or humans coming in and catching all the snakes for food or the leather trade. NERDS albino water monitor was found at a skinning station. I can only imagine the number of morphs killed over the last couple hundred years for food or leather that we don't know about.

Inevitably some will always make, hence why we have the morphs we do.

I'm just saying that, especially the subtle variations, have just as good of a shot at making it and reproducing as a wild type. If they've been out there for thousands of years having the same chances as a wild type and proding 50% morphs with every hatchling, I would think that by now there would be huge populations of things like ciinies, mojos, sables, YBs, etc. So many that they should be very common after thousands or millions of years to the point of even finding plenty of combos and supers. While BELs and ivories likely wouldn't survive very long in Africa, I don't see why super sables, super cinnies and combos of these wouldn't have the same chances as wild types. Now once you have supers or combos out there, 75% - 100% off any offspring are going to be a co-dom morph. It just seems like we would see a ton more of these coming from WC animals. We're talking hundreds of thousands, or more years of 40+ co-doms breeding, and producing 50% co-dom clutches each time.

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

Sure. Who's to say that ball pythons were'nt originally all homozygous pinstripes that had a genetic mutation somewhere along the line that produced the wild type we see today? Then the wild type was naturally better at not getting eaten, causing the wild type population to quickly outgrown the pinstripe genetics to the point of becoming the dominant color and pattern mutation.

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123