Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,547

0 members and 2,547 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: substrate?

Thanks

Re: substrate?

Quote Originally Posted by Funky#2 View Post
    Maybe because it was slate it was diffucult to clean? We use ceramic tile and have no problems. Whenever our beardie goes to the bathroom we just wipe it up with a papertowel. In my opinion ceramic is the easiest to clean, and looks the nicest.

What kind of uvb are you using? If its that fluorescent the uvb will not be reaching yours beardie because it is too far way.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    What kind of uvb are you using? If its that fluorescent the uvb will not be reaching yours beardie because it is too far way.
    The lamp on the left is a Zoo Med basking bulb with UVA.

The long fluorescent bulb is a Reptisun 5.0, and it is usually in the front all the way to the left. We have a hinged lid and we push the fluorescent bulb back when we open it.

And the lamp on the far right is just a normal 60 watt bulb we use to maintain temps.
    1.0.0 Normal Bearded Dragon
    0.0.1 Albino Pacman Frog
    0.0.1 Normal Pacman Frog
    1.0.0 Veiled Chameleon
    0.0.3 Hermit Crabs
    1.0.0 Tabby Cat
    0.1.0 Basset Hound Puppy

Thanks

you need to up the amount anyways, they need at least 7% and the 5.0 is 5%. UVA doesnt matter with beardies, every bulb produces it.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

you need to up the amount anyways, they need at least 7% and the 5.0 is 5%. UVA doesnt matter with beardies, every bulb produces it.
    You and I just discussed this in another thread last week. The care sheet provided on THIS SITE suggests the Reptisun 5.0 as one of the bulbs to use. I'm not saying you're wrong, and if what you're saying is accurate they should correct the provided care sheet.
    0.0.1 Albino Pacman Frog
    0.0.1 Normal Pacman Frog
    1.0.0 Veiled Chameleon
    0.0.3 Hermit Crabs
    1.0.0 Tabby Cat
    0.1.0 Basset Hound Puppy

Thanks

You and I just discussed this in another thread last week. The care sheet provided on THIS SITE suggests the Reptisun 5.0 as one of the bulbs to use. I'm not saying you're wrong, and if what you're saying is accurate they should correct the provided care sheet.
    Im just telling you that if you want a healthy beardie, upgrade your uvb. I can tell you now that your beardie is not getting enough not only from the brand but from the amount of esposure he is getting even when you move the flourescent. Id recommend a mvb bulb for that setup. A 5.0 is good for a beardie for about two months before it is no longer acceptible for beardies.
    Last edited by Beardedragon; 10-23-2008 at 08:55 PM.
    - Matt

Thanks

Im just telling you that if you want a healthy beardie, upgrade your uvb. I can tell you now that your beardie is not getting enough not only from the brand but from the amount of esposure he is getting even when you move the flourescent. Id recommend a mvb bulb for that setup. A 5.0 is good for a beardie for about two months before it is no longer acceptible for beardies.
    We definitely want whats best for our beardie, we'll take a look at the MVB bulb.
    0.0.1 Albino Pacman Frog
    0.0.1 Normal Pacman Frog
    1.0.0 Veiled Chameleon
    0.0.3 Hermit Crabs
    1.0.0 Tabby Cat
    0.1.0 Basset Hound Puppy

Thanks

We definitely want whats best for our beardie, we'll take a look at the MVB bulb.
    Try getting a T-rex MVB from lllreptile.com They cost more but they double as a heat lamp and last twice as long as a fluorescent, and will not kill like a compact bulb will.

Im just telling you that if you want a healthy beardie, upgrade your uvb. I can tell you now that your beardie is not getting enough not only from the brand but from the amount of exposure he is getting even when you move the fluorescent. Id recommend a mvb bulb for that setup. A 5.0 is good for a beardie for about two months before it is no longer acceptable for beardies.
    ^^^ someone was a wee bit tired when he wrote this I had a hard time understanding my own post :o
    - Matt

Thanks

Try getting a T-rex MVB from lllreptile.com They cost more but they double as a heat lamp and last twice as long as a fluorescent, and will not kill like a compact bulb will.
    How much heat? Would you still need a basking lamp or would it be hot enough if it was within 6-8 inches of it?
    0.0.1 Albino Pacman Frog
    0.0.1 Normal Pacman Frog
    1.0.0 Veiled Chameleon
    0.0.3 Hermit Crabs
    1.0.0 Tabby Cat
    0.1.0 Basset Hound Puppy

Thanks

You cannot put an MVB bulb within 6-8 inches of a reptile. It's too much heat and way too much UVB exposure. Would likely cause retinal damage. MVB bulbs need to be at least 12" or more away, I believe it's more like 16"-18", but I could be wrong.

www.reptileuv.com
    This website sells MVB bulbs for around $45 and they last a very long time.

If you want to use a fluorescent, Beardies need to be able to get at the most, 12" from it, preferably 6-8" for best exposure. You NEED to use a 10.0 bulb. The others are junk and will not have a useful UVB output, at least for Bearded Dragon needs.

I'm using a combo of a Zoomed 10.0 fluorescent and a Phillips 75W truecolor bulb for heat. Basking spot gets to 115 easily and the UVB light is within 12" of the Beardie.

As you have it set up now, your lizard isn't getting any useful UVB exposure except when he goes to the basking platform. Get a MVB bulb or a shorter tank(and a 10.0 fluorescent). 5.0s and 7.0s should be left for the non-desert dwelling critters.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    You cannot put an MVB bulb within 6-8 inches of a reptile. It's too much heat and way too much UVB exposure. Would likely cause retinal damage. MVB bulbs need to be at least 12" or more away, I believe it's more like 16"-18", but I could be wrong.

www.reptileuv.com
    This website sells MVB bulbs for around $45 and they last a very long time.

If you want to use a fluorescent, Beardies need to be able to get at the most, 12" from it, preferably 6-8" for best exposure. You NEED to use a 10.0 bulb. The others are junk and will not have a useful UVB output, at least for Bearded Dragon needs.

I'm using a combo of a Zoomed 10.0 fluorescent and a Phillips 75W truecolor bulb for heat. Basking spot gets to 115 easily and the UVB light is within 12" of the Beardie.

As you have it set up now, your lizard isn't getting any useful UVB exposure except when he goes to the basking platform. Get a MVB bulb or a shorter tank(and a 10.0 fluorescent). 5.0s and 7.0s should be left for the non-desert dwelling critters.
    Well he is literally up there all day except when we feed him.

I went to the site you suggested and they had an article about a "problem with some of the new high UVB output fluorescent compact lamps and tubes" which resulted in them developing something called photo-kerato-conjunctivitis, which apparently can lead to death.

If my bd is going to spend the majority of his day on his basking platform, should I still go with a stronger output bulb?

Here's the ARTICLE

Thanks.
    Last edited by Funky#2; 10-24-2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added link
    0.0.1 Albino Pacman Frog
    0.0.1 Normal Pacman Frog
    1.0.0 Veiled Chameleon
    0.0.3 Hermit Crabs
    1.0.0 Tabby Cat
    0.1.0 Basset Hound Puppy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast