Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,296

3 members and 3,293 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Can mice be TOO big?

Just wondering, has there ever been a case where any snake eats a mouse, rat, etc., got it down and died from it? I've always heard mixed stories on this.

Thanks

Re: Can mice be TOO big?

I dont know about a mouse or rat- but there is a stroy on a Burm in FL eating a alligator too big and spiltting open. You can google it.. Poor snake-irresponsible owners
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    1.0 Harliquin Great Dane, Gambit
    0.2 Cats, Mojo-Jojo and Rebel
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

yea i heard about that. I went and bought a retic from the Chicago Reptile House and they fed it before we left. The mouse looked a little big for him (he's a baby). He got it down okay but it sparked the question in my mind. Just so you know, I wouldn't ever feed an alligator to my snakes. Or for that matter, let them loose. Also, if it DOES kill a mouse too big, is it true that it just won't eat it? Never had the problem but just making sure.

Thanks

i had a burm a few years ago i got from a show in pennsylvania. had it 6 months fed it a medium rat before i went to bed and woke up the next morning he regurgitated it and was died. may guess was it was to big for him
    0.1 American Pitbull Terriorm8
    150 gal African Cichlid Tank
    1.0 Gaboon Viper
    0.1 Southern Copperhead
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Pinstripe
    0.1 Lesser Pastel
    1.0 Normal
    1.0 Ghost
    0.2 Mojave pos het Ghost
    1.0 Pinstripe Yellowbelly
    0.1 Spider
    1.0 Pewter
    1.0 Hypo Burmese
    0.1 Normal het Green het Albino Burmese

Thanks

Wow, im sorry. On the subject, and seeing u have a ball python, have u ever had trouble feeding after winter? We have one that we got in January and wouldn't eat. Everyone said "Breeding season, breeding season" so we just kept trying but no luck. We were so worried about her. She's still thick and active so we were told she'd be fine. We noticed she started her shed process(5 times in 7 months without eating) a few days ago. Then just so happens, last night we decided to try one more time with live bait(just wanted to say bait) and she took it. she seems ok, still active, and alert. no regurgitation so far(been over 24 hours). My fiance cried.

Anyway, is not feeding for 7 months(at least) unheard of or is it pretty common?

Thanks

i had an adult female i got from the local pet store a while back. couldnt get her to feed at all for a year. i tried everything, took her to the pet store to see if they could. came back later in the week. she ate, but it was a gerbal. all this time and i didnt think of it. every feed cost me $12.
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftto5 View Post
    Wow, im sorry. On the subject, and seeing u have a ball python, have u ever had trouble feeding after winter? We have one that we got in January and wouldn't eat. Everyone said "Breeding season, breeding season" so we just kept trying but no luck. We were so worried about her. She's still thick and active so we were told she'd be fine. We noticed she started her shed process(5 times in 7 months without eating) a few days ago. Then just so happens, last night we decided to try one more time with live bait(just wanted to say bait) and she took it. she seems ok, still active, and alert. no regurgitation so far(been over 24 hours). My fiance cried.

Anyway, is not feeding for 7 months(at least) unheard of or is it pretty common?
    Last edited by bruster; 07-22-2008 at 08:34 PM.
    0.1 American Pitbull Terriorm8
    150 gal African Cichlid Tank
    1.0 Gaboon Viper
    0.1 Southern Copperhead
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Pinstripe
    0.1 Lesser Pastel
    1.0 Normal
    1.0 Ghost
    0.2 Mojave pos het Ghost
    1.0 Pinstripe Yellowbelly
    0.1 Spider