Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,322

2 members and 3,320 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: New Russian Tortoise

I just sold off all of my turtles/tortoises, except for my wifes russian female tortoise. We feed her mazuri tortoise chow, wet it down dont make it soggy but the dampness makes it alittle bit easier for them. Also greens like spinach, and baby greens are great for them. They love berrys like raspberrys. Also as far as their habitat goes, make sure you have plenty of substrate for them russian tortoises are diggers, they love to dig. This will make them feel more at home. As far as your friends ebt goes I would probaly just stick with box turtle food, possibly some greens and berrys here and there. Im sure that Mazuri has box turtle food. Goodluck to you and your new friend.

Thanks

I feed my russian tortoise a mix of greens and butternut squash. The butter nut squash is the highest in calcium.
    Their favorite are dandelion leaves and they will feast on them till they explode.
    I buy all my greens and squash in bulk then chop it up,mix it then frees it in ziplock bags. So i just have to scoop out the right amount every day.
    The only other things i add are calcium with d3 and a dash of tortoise topper.

The funny thing is i found this tortoise walking down my street. And nobody claimed it so im keeping her. I set her up in a 90 gallon aquarium with 6 inches of dirt/sand mix and some bricks that make an underground cave where she spends all her time. I have under tank heating and a ceramic heat bulb because she likes to bask after eating. The aquarium sits in my basement window where she gets full sunlight all day.

They will recognize the shorter daylight hours and this will kick off hibernation and they might stop eating. I use a uvb light and timer and give her an extra few hours of daylight every day. Works out great

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darkice View Post
    I feed my russian tortoise a mix of greens and butternut squash. The butter nut squash is the highest in calcium.
    Their favorite are dandelion leaves and they will feast on them till they explode.
    I buy all my greens and squash in bulk then chop it up,mix it then frees it in ziplock bags. So i just have to scoop out the right amount every day.

The funny thing is i found this tortoise walking down my street. And nobody claimed it so im keeping her. I set her up in a 90 gallon aquarium with 6 inches of dirt/sand mix and some bricks that make an underground cave where she spends all her time. I have under tank heating and a ceramic heat bulb because she likes to bask after eating. The aquarium sits in my basement window where she gets full sunlight all day.

They will recognize the shorter daylight hours and this will kick off hibernation and they might stop eating. I use a uvb light and timer and give her an extra few hours of daylight every day. Works out great
    sounds like you got her diet pretty well dialed

Thanks

Russians are the easiest as far as care....they do not need the higher temps like most, and do very well in cooler climates for longer outdoors. Mine stay outside year round and go into their burrow when the time is right.

Diet:
    Mixed greens and veggies, squashes, fruit here and there. I use cuttlebones for calcium, they are 100% calcium and make a fine dust when rubbed together. The tort chow is good stuff, but most russians and others are wc imports and have no idea what it is, with time they will usually start taking it if you mix it in with some greens and such. You can collect up dandilion greens and flowers in the summer and they love em!

For those that use tanks to house them, the window trick does nothing for uv rays from the sun, glass filters out almost all uv....If you plan to keep them indoors year round a tort table is in order for the longterm. Russians stay smaller so a smaller table will work fine. Basically a short sided long box with uv lamps and heat from above with kitty litter pans recessed into it with grasses planted in em. Couple of caves and areas to dig around in. Shallow water dish for drinking and such.

Congrats on the new tort! They are a ton of fun!

Thanks

Ok, you're doing good and what a beautiful tortoise! For a brunette he has some beautiful markings. Both of mine are wild caught and the brunette male i have has scars all over fom shell rot.
    Ok, anyway, don't keep it in a glass enclosure, you want something they cannot see through. All the visual stuff freaks them out and they become HIGHLY stressed. Make sure you have UVB on them during the day. I use a UVB and heat bulb from Zoo Med. Works well and they always bask in the light.
    Carolina pet supply has as suppliment called TNT which is great for grassland tortoises. It can be full of probiotics or be lacking probiotics, up to you. It also adds ALOT of calcuim to their diet. If you feed them spinach you need to add calcium in LARGE quantities. I have read that spinach in RT's does the same thing as Bearded Dragons and binds the calcium not allowing them to digest and use it properly. I could be wrong but i have had no issues, so far.
    www.russiantortoisepictures.com/forum/index.php is a great resorce for any questions, suppliments, or advice but it's nowhere near as good as ball-pythons.net
    I tried alot of things with my guys: cuttlebone, calcium powder, commercial tortoise mix, etc. They only like the stuff i buy at the store. I get an organic veggi mix. Some Iceburg is okay, but not in large quantities. It has no nutritional value to it literally starves them. Remember, variety is important because they like to try new things. My guys will pick at everything and ignore anything with powder, anything commercial, or anything out of the ordinary especially cuttlebone. They are good torts, though.
    Food for RT's is not the same as food for box turtles or any other type or land turtle or tortoise. Why? Because their nutritional needs are different. Bod turtles, red foots, really mopst types of tortoises need some sort of protien and they usually get it from their caretakers giving them pinkies. This is bad for RT's and can causemassive problems. RT's are herbivors and digest certain things and need alot of fiber. Other types or tortoise don't need as much fiber and are mostly concerned about protien. I have has a cherry head and Russians so i'm not sure about ALL other species or tortoise or land turtle.

Thanks

Oh and to add to RicharA, a tort table is a must! I will use and old bookshelf laying on its back filled with a 50/50 mix of play sand and eco earth. Add a gallon of water once a week to the entire thing and mix it all up. I never tried the kitty litter pan thing, great idea! I will use than next! If using a mercuy vapor UVB/heat bulb that should amke grasses grow really well.
    Out of curiocity Rich, what do you use to pot the grasses in the kitty litter pans?

Thanks

Aaaand, sorry, to hijack but here is a thread with a good suppliment for RT's
    http://russiantortoisepictures.com/f...pic,328.0.html
    and the actual product from Carolina Pet Supply
    http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/cat...c950abb8d4ef0a
    Great stufffff, i'm tellin ya.
    Ok, i promise to stop posting, now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darkice View Post
    You don't want the added D3 if you are (and you should) providing the correct UVB and\or natural sunlight. Could lead to calcium overdosing...

Chad
    www.iherp.com/wafisherman

Ball Python, 2 Dumiril's Boas, Mexican Boa
    Russian Tortoise, 3 Sulcata Tortoises,
    3 E. Box Turtles and one 3-Toed Box Turtle
    Dog, Cat, Bearded Dragon
    2 Leo Geckos, Tiger Salamander, 2 Water Dragons
    Chickens, Rabbits, Ducks, Pilgram Geese
    2 Olberhasli milking goats
    7 kids and one amazing wife!

Thanks

I have a baby Russian Tortoise also. Her name is Lilly. She sure is alot of fun. I use half play sand and half bead a beast for her bedding. She has a hide which I need to get another one for her. She has a UBV light and a heating lamp. She eats Mazuri pellets and her greens. She LOVES dandilion flowers and the leaves. She loves flowers and weeds also. I feed her spring mix that you can buy at the grocrey store. I have not tried butternut squash so I think ill try that also. She also loves grape leaves from the grape vines that we have. Ill have to post a pic of her here
    1 Male Ball Python Spencer
    2 Dekayi Max & Bennie
    1 Ornate Box Turtle Lola
    1 Russian Tortose Lilly
    1 Beagle Dog Maycee

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wafisherman View Post
    You don't want the added D3 if you are (and you should) providing the correct UVB and\or natural sunlight. Could lead to calcium overdosing...

I dont use it very often. Maybe once every couple of weeks. The fresh diet i provide is working out great. And she will spend most of the summer in my backyard. I built her a nice big pen 8x8 foot and i am planting things in there she can graze on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast