Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,123

4 members and 3,119 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai

Thread: questions...

Thanks

questions...

i just got my first bp a few months ago. my bp is a very healthy size and about 3 ft. in length. im new to the hobby but this site is extremely useful and i was looking for any suggestions on my situation.

i have a large tank with the right temps on both sides, hidespots, large waterdish, etc. i was told that an overhead heat lamp on the hot side would be adequate but the more i read about everyone elses setups im starting to think it would be better to do an UTH. my bp is a very finiky eater and has become a little stressed in the past couple of weeks and hasent eaten. she has been in her water tub all day every day for about 2 weeks. i have checked for mites and i keep the humidity between 50 and 60 all the time. since i have had her she has always been a big water lover but i cant help but be a bit curious about the excessiveness. suggestions?

Thanks

Re: questions...

Welcome!

As far as glass or display enclosures, I can remind checking out the recommendations in the link in my signature below, 'Glass Viv Guide'. I definitely think you are on the right track with using UTH's as opposed to a heat lamp, which can really suck the humidity out of the air.

What size is the glass tank? Are you using hides (as in 2) and are they matching? Many people's experience has been that BPs will use the hide they find the most secure if the hides are different, making that choice above the temperature they need. That is to say, they could be choosing security over temperature needs, so the snake could be getting too hot or too cold. =)

What kind of substrate are you using?

How are you monitoring temperatures?
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

There are two main reasons BP's dont eat, cool temps and security. A large glass enclosure may not be giving her much security. Some will soak when they are nearing shed or she may feel more secure in the water bowl. What are you measuring temps and humidity with?

Thanks

thanks for the info!
    i have a 70 gal tank and i have been measuring the temps and humidity with stick on readers on both sides. i use aspen bedding and water saturated moss on the hot side in the hide spot.
    i think if i follow the advice and get an uth, new devices to monitor temps in the substrate and identical hide spots i'll be on the right track.
    thanks so much for the replies