Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,032

1 members and 3,031 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Infrared Temp Gun

So I just got my 412L temp gun from RBI delivered today and was wondering where everyone takes their readings from. I have the 30 Quart low profile rack from RBI and im using a Helix thermostat that is set at 93. For substrate im using a few pieces of blank newsprint.

I took the temp in several different spots and wasn't sure which one I should go by. The temp of the actual heat tape was 100. On top of the paper over the heat tape was 86 and when i lifted the paper up the temp for the plastic of the tub was 93. I've been using a digital thermometer for the past year and never knew there was such a difference between below and above the paper.

Any suggestions on which reading I should be using to set my temps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Terence

Thanks

Re: Infrared Temp Gun

I think all those places are good to check every once and a while. I usually just check a few spots around the surface of my substrate, if everything is in my acceptable temp range, I'm happy.

If you have the probe on your heat tape then you can just go by what the helix says, that's more accurate than anything else to get your heat tape temps.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TMoore View Post
    On top of the paper over the heat tape was 86 and when i lifted the paper up the temp for the plastic of the tub was 93. I've been using a digital thermometer for the past year and never knew there was such a difference between below and above the paper.
    I noticed the same thing. I also noticed my snake liked to mess the cage up enough to get himself up under the paper towels. I guess he either really wanted that extra 2-5 degrees. I didn't like it so I switched to aspen as substrate. What he does now is just pushes all the aspen away when he needs more warmth.
    Last edited by spaceturtle; 07-15-2008 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks

I check the temperature directly on the plastic tub, at both ends.
    Jim

BiteFight - Check It Out
    http://s3.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=177328

Thanks

The thing im worried about is that one of my snakes usaully goes under the paper and the rest stay on top of it so they are experiencing at least a 5 degree difference in belly heat. Should i keep it so the plastic is 93 or up it so on top of the paper is closer to 90.

Thanks

The thing im worried about is that one of my snakes usaully goes under the paper and the rest stay on top of it so they are experiencing at least a 5 degree difference in belly heat. Should i keep it so the plastic is 93 or up it so on top of the paper is closer to 90.
    Actually, they shouldn't experience much of a difference at all. I noticed this back when I was using newspaper in my tub. If you check the newspaper without a snake on top of it, there will be the difference that you're seeing. However, where the snake is laying the newspaper will be pressed tight against the tub and the heat will transfer through. You can see for yourself by picking the snake up and taking a QUICK reading, because it will cool off FAST. So definitely take your readings from the tub itself when setting up your thermostat and you should be good to go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m00kfu View Post
    Actually, they shouldn't experience much of a difference at all. I noticed this back when I was using newspaper in my tub. If you check the newspaper without a snake on top of it, there will be the difference that you're seeing. However, where the snake is laying the newspaper will be pressed tight against the tub and the heat will transfer through. You can see for yourself by picking the snake up and taking a QUICK reading, because it will cool off FAST. So definitely take your readings from the tub itself when setting up your thermostat and you should be good to go.
    I never thought about that. Makes sense, so I guess everything is staying as is. Thanks for the suggestions

Terence

Thanks

I never thought about that. Makes sense, so I guess everything is staying as is. Thanks for the suggestions

Terence
    Not a problem, I know how much this very same situation drove me crazy when I first set up my rack.