Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,197

0 members and 3,197 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Market crashers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Re: Market crashers

Quote Originally Posted by Dave763 View Post
    Why is it that everything is going up in price,gas,food,ect.,while at the same time I see people lowering the price on thier animals? It makes no sense to me.
    I guess its just supply and demand. More small breeders(like me) flooding the market with pastels,spiders pins,ect. I understand that. But even recessive's have come down quite a bit in the last year.
    People need gas, food, electric, etc. People don't need ball pythons...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks

Our wonderful president that has done so much for our market already will improve things soon. I mean after all look how great things are improving!! I imagine alot of the small time breeders got into it for the same reason as I am getting into it. There are some really pretty morphs out there that I would love to have. But they are just to expensive. So why not buy some hets and breed your own. I imagine alot of the people that breed small time do that but when they start selling their surplus and they make a few extra dollars it gets exciting. here is money in your pocket for doing something you love. Who wouldnt want to make a living doing something they are pasionate about. The thing you have to remember alot of the small time breeders are in it for a short time and either they go broke or they finaly got the morphs they always wanted and have no reason to breed anymore.

Registered User FloridaKingSnake's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sloburn View Post
    Our wonderful president that has done so much for our market already will improve things soon. I mean after all look how great things are improving!!
    I'm no Bush fan, but a president can do very little by himself/herself to affect the economy. Our goverment in general has failed us there. Now concerning the BP market, I think the market is headed south. If you are interested in BPs as a pet it is a great time to buy, but if you are trying to talk people out of making their mortgage, car, or other important payments *You are fighting a loosing battle*. I myself am planning on purchasing some BPs at Daytona this year. I have a set price that I think is fair. If I cant find the snake I'm looking for, for the price I'm willing to pay, I will just have to wait. I think breeders are going to have to come to grips with the fact that people are going to cut their hobbies off before life's required bills.

Thanks

no to mention bush has zero power right now...except veto. the house and senate are to blame for 99% of our problems. and no, i don't like bush either.
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks

I think most people forget about is simple supply and demand. Supply goes up, prices go down. More and more people are producing morphs now that used to fetch a high price. More of those morphs means prices will fall.

Now granted, there are some who purposefully tried to crash the market (Morph King for instance), but a lot of it is an increase in supply. But a lot of it is also the economy as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave763 View Post
    Well said. I agree 100%. I have not sold any snakes. I would like to keep them all.. However,it would be nice to at least make enough to pay for the rat food.
    That's my thoughts too!
    ~Tashai
    5.10 ball pythons, 1.1 hog island boas,
    1.1 mexican black kings, 0.1 jungle carpet python 0.1.3 crested geckos

Visit my website: http://ti-imagery.com

Registered User FloridaKingSnake's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueapplepaste View Post
    I think most people forget about is simple supply and demand. Supply goes up, prices go down. More and more people are producing morphs now that used to fetch a high price. More of those morphs means prices will fall.

Now granted, there are some who purposefully tried to crash the market (Morph King for instance), but a lot of it is an increase in supply. But a lot of it is also the economy as well.
    I agree with you for the most part. I think that the it goes beyond simple supply and demand models. I think that the BP market is a free market. A snake is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If a breeder thinks their snake is worth $5000 dollars and nobody is willing to pay that, then it isn't worth it. If the breeder decides to keep the snake, then that just adds to their overhead - not to mention there will be more of the same snakes produced next year which means the price will go down even further. I think the days of crazy prices of BPs is over, can you picture people taking out second or third mortgages on their already under valued homes for the next "hot morph". I think the vast majority of people that buy BPs are for pets, which means for them its about enjoyment of keeps snakes and the friendships they develop with other likeminded people. The people that are willing thinking of paying crazy prices for some of the morphs are holding on to sinking ship!

Thanks

It fascinates me how similar these market talk posts are. We are in a recession but corporate profits are up. The rich keep getting richer and the poor, poorer.

What does this all mean? Hell if I know. Only time will tell.

Thanks

I am getting in to breeding this next season. I am planning to sell morphs I breed for roughly what I paid for mine, or just a little less.

The simple fact is that when there is a rare new morph it will be worth more. When it has been around awhile and there are enough breeders with that morph available to meet demand, the price will stabilize to a true market determined price.

For instance Pastels I believe have nearly stabilized in price. Spiders are still high, but coming down. I believe most morphs will eventually stabilize at a realistic price.

I really don't think this is a problem. It just means people trying to make a quick buck won't get into this hobby. It will be left to those who truly care about breeding. Not saying theres not going to be money to be made. There will always be new morphs, and the morphs that are harder to produce. Those will naturally cost more.

Those are my thoughts.

J.Biz

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J.Bissell View Post
    For instance Pastels I believe have nearly stabilized in price. Spiders are still high, but coming down. I believe most morphs will eventually stabilize at a realistic price.
    Spiders aren't high at all - they've come way down from just two years ago, even from last year. They are very affordable now (comparative to where they were).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast