Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,383

4 members and 3,379 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Need help Asap (anyone experienced please!)

Hello everyone i really need help asap from someone experienced with snake disease and Baytril, i have a burmese python and it just ate 5 chicks 2 days ago, so today i checked the box it hides in and it wasnt clean so i took my burm out (it was a bit more aggressive than before) and i soaked it in some warm water to clean up, it was very angry and was hissing alot than suddnly some bubbles came out of its mouth in the front and i'm not sure if it was RI disease (pics below) , i also made some search about RI diseases before and found that there is a medicine called Baytril and i do have it (Note: i'm from Kuwait and there arent any Reptile Vets here..) so i would do anything to help this snake out if it was sick, please check out the pic's and i also posted a pic of the Baytril , i need advice on how to use it if my snake had RI...its confusing: these are the photos i took after i soaked it in warm water to clean up...
    here u can see the bubbles in front-is that normal?:

a big one this time as she was hissing:

after a while it dissapeared :

And this is the Baytril (i have no idea weither i should be injecting it or using it oraly with that aggresive snake and i dont know the dosage, that is after i'm 100% sure my snake has RI):

please dont tell me to go to a vet or get hlep because there arent any reptile vets in kuwait but i really would take any advise seriously and yes i keep the snake in a 92f degree area and low humidity with a water bowl (50 gal tank closed all sided but front) and its always inside the hide box..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Re: Need help Asap (anyone experienced please!)

You need to get an exact weight of the snake so you can get the correct amount of medication. I have never treated a larger python (only Ball Python) so I am not familiar with the amount of baytril per weight of snake but I am sure some one here will know.

I live in Los Angeles and they only time I have had RI's was from low humidity and warm dry air. I reccomend you get your humidity up around 60% and temps on the higher side (94 farenheit).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Take the baytril out of the package to see what kind of bottle. I assume it is injectable which is best.

Thanks

i thought higher humidity makes it worse, does my snake really have RI? the baytril is injectable its written there in the box and i also got the needles with it ... but i'm not sure if i need to use it and what dosage and how am i going to be possible to inject it in that aggressive python and in what area exactly... confusing

Thanks

I know having a bigger snake may take some time to get the shots into him. I had to give my bp a shot every 2 days(48 hours), from head to the neck, you hold the snake & use the needle on the side down further past the neck. After injecting it, hold the area. Then give your snake a luke warm bath, & massage him. * this is what I did for my bp when he had RI *

When you give the next shot in 2 days, use the other side of the neck, alternate. I don't know how much you are supposed to give your snake, maybe weigh him & look online, to see if there is any info that may help you.

I hope your snake gets better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tho3ban View Post
    i thought higher humidity makes it worse, does my snake really have RI? the baytril is injectable its written there in the box and i also got the needles with it ... but i'm not sure if i need to use it and what dosage and how am i going to be possible to inject it in that aggressive python and in what area exactly... confusing
    Stephanie

Thanks

If it helps - check out Ralph give meds to a ball python. It's probably pretty similar? I don't know, I'm not a vet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nXFNICdDBQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBPPPJww6m8

You will probably need someone to help you hold the snake, maybe keep the head in a pillow case?

Good luck!

Thanks

Also, before you go giving anything shots, you also have to take into account you have 5% concentration, which would make the dosage different if you were to find a chart with the dosage amount per lb and it happened to be 10%.

BUT, if someone chimes in about the dosages for 5%, your all set! Otherwise, it's math time!

Thanks

you said you gave the snake a bath .... maybe thats where the bubbles are coming from ..... have you seen any bubbles or popping noises recently, after the bath?
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reediculous View Post
    you said you gave the snake a bath .... maybe thats where the bubbles are coming from ..... have you seen any bubbles or popping noises recently, after the bath?
    yea i just checked the snake in its box ..has been like many hours since i gave it bath .. still watery thing coming out of its mouth....

BPnet Veteran Kesslers Kreatures's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reediculous View Post

He didn't say he gave the snake a bubble bath, (its okay i was thinking the same thing)

All joking aside, good luck buddy, I don't know much about the bigger snakes, I hope someone is able to help.
    Lewie

0.1 Girlfriend
    5.13 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boas

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast