Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,393

2 members and 3,391 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Sometimes, vets can be ******...

My dog was micro chipped with no anesthesia; I don't understand why your vet would suggest that.

I am glad that you are looking for another vet. IMO, your previous vet was out of line. However, as was mentioned, his/her clinic = his/her rules. Plain and simple.

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

both my moms dogs were chipped while they were awake.. it is uncomfortable but doable.. i dont think its worth putting a dog under anesthesia for a microchip but if shes already going to be under getting her teeth fixed then yes, chip her while shes out.

Thanks

While you are correct in going to another vet.
    I have to disagree with two comments made by people
    That slightly angers me. My dog is not spayed because we might want to breed her and it's expensive and pointless to spay her really. (she doesn't go outside or get out and she's really small.)
    Plus I have a friend of mine who has purebred Whipits and is permitted from fixing any of her dogs because they are show dogs and may be chosen to breed.
    AND
    neither of my dogs are spayed, there is no need.
    THERE is a need to have your dog spayed or nuetered.
    You can get cancers, and people's dogs will come around when your dog is in heat. EVEN if you have a high fence OR a kennel. Our sharpei mix came into being when a neighborhood lab climbed a 6 foot fence, then an 8 foot kennel fence to get to her mom, a sharpei.
    Also take a look at these reasons, found on a normal web site.

Top Reasons to Spay or Neuter Your Dog or Cat

-Prevents future heat cycles and blood stains on carpet and furniture - Heat cycles or estrus cycles can be messy, by spaying your dog you eliminate this messy cycle.
    -No longer attract stray males during heat cycles - Males will no longer be attracted to your female dog or cat after the spay surgery.
    -Decreases chances of mammary tumors - If your dog is spayed before the first heat the chances of later developing mammary tumors, or breast cancer, are eliminated and if the surgery is performed before the second heat the chances of later developing mammary tumors are greatly reduced.
    -Eliminates the chances of developing a uterine infection - Dogs and cats can develop an infection in their uterus called a pyometra that is life threatening, and in many cases requires emergency surgery to remove the infected uterus. If you spay your pet the risk of developing a pyometra is eliminated.
    -Eliminates the chances of developing testicular cancer - When your pet is neutered the testicles are removed eliminating the chances of later developing testicular cancer.

Thanks

While those are all good reasons... I have a hard time believing that a persons choice to not spay or neuter their dog is an instance death sentance like your post made it seem.

Thanks

Most vets are quacks. They are over priced, anddo things that Arnt neccesary. I have only met one good vet, And he doesn't see dogs... I got fooled into getting my male neutered, he was from a great blood line, and I was going to stud him a few times. They said he had a type of genetic mange, but it was a flea alergie. My 16 year old blue heeled has only been to a vet a few times, to be spayed and a few rabies shots, she's doing just fine!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Montessa Python View Post
    THERE is a need to have your dog spayed or nuetered.
    You can get cancers, and people's dogs will come around when your dog is in heat. EVEN if you have a high fence OR a kennel. Our sharpei mix came into being when a neighborhood lab climbed a 6 foot fence, then an 8 foot kennel fence to get to her mom, a sharpei..
    where i live, there is no need, k?

we plan on getting them fixed, but we dont have almost $500+ to fix both of them...

but right now we dont worry about it cause any dog that can get close enough to our dogs [male wise] is either fixed, or small enough to seriously understand what kind of power a electric fence for horses feels like... lol

either way, the vet had no reason to tell her [other than it being his clinic] that he wouldnt treat her dog unless she got the dog fixed...
    2.0 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Red Tail Boas
    1.4 Rabbits
    0.1 German Shepherd

Thanks

Not spaying or neutering your dog (or cat for that matter) is often an "instant death sentence" for the unwanted puppies and kittens that result.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

There is a small clinic by me called S.A.N.T.A. - Spay and Neuter Team of Atlanta. It clearly states that you may not use their low costs vaccine program if your animal is not spayed or neutered.

I support their right to deny services if that's what they choose.

I also know that pet overpopulation is a real problem, and there's no need to have a litter of kittens or puppies when so many animals need homes. The homes you find for the puppies, are that many animals in the shelter that lost their chance for a nice home.

I don't think there's any need to get angry with that vet. You did what you should do - find another vet that could and would service you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChicaPiton519 View Post
    where i live, there is no need, k?

we plan on getting them fixed, but we dont have almost $500+ to fix both of them...
    There is no private or public humane society in your whole area? They almost always run very low cost spay/neuter clinics a few times per year.

Other than the obvious reasons of unwanted offspring the facts are proven that intact dogs and cats are at much higher risk factors for exactly the diseases spelled out in the above post by Montessa Python. That's scientific fact that if you keep your animal intact you could be allowing them to face illnesses that not only may kill them but in the end could cost you a heck of a lot more in vet bills to try and save them than the original spay or neuter ever would have.

However, as far as this vet you are discussing, their clinic is THEIR business, it's YOUR business if you use them or another vet but you cannot dictate to them, anymore than you want them dictating to you, how they set their clinic standards of care.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    There is no private or public humane society in your whole area? They almost always run very low cost spay/neuter clinics a few times per year.
    huh, idk i dont think there is, but i could be wrong, i will have to look into that.... thanks =]
    2.0 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Red Tail Boas
    1.4 Rabbits
    0.1 German Shepherd

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast