Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,228

0 members and 3,228 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

View Poll Results: Are ASF's going to replace regular rats in the BP community?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 22.22%
  • No

49 77.78%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Are ASF's going to replace regular rats in the BP community?

I agree that they won't replace rats. I started my little girls (ball pythons) on them and after the 2nd meal I switched them over to pinky rats and ALL of them nailed the ratlings. I like them because they won't ever out grow what I can feed to my balls. My rats quickly out grow what I am comfortable feeding. So I end up with 4 cages of adult HUGE rats and no one to feed them to.

Thanks

I can see supplementing my rats with ASF's, but with the large variety of snakes I have, ASF's won't replace rats. I have several snakes that need larger prey items and multiple ASF's won't cut it.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

One thing I'm wondering about is the potential for selective breeding to overcome the few drawbacks I'm reading about (slow growth, small adult size, hoppyness, and biting). Lab rats have been selectively bred for many many generations and captive ASF's are in their infancy. Maybe with our high feeder cull rate ball python breeders can work together to create improved lines. Like the breeder with the big tame male swap some babies with someone who always feeds the hoppiest babies off and keeps the easiest to catch ones for breeders against the natural tendency to do the opposite, etc.

Of course we'll need to be careful not to loose the good points they already have like high reproductive rate and low smell. But with agreement on what to work toward and careful observations (maybe weighing and recording for the fastest growing babies to keep for breeders) and swapping stock to combine and proliferate the best traits we might make some fairly quick progress.

A big impediments is shipping and quarantine but maybe doing swaps at regional shows and all maintaining high health standards can overcome these.

Thanks

I have yet to produce my first litter of ASFs but I do have about 10 females ready to pop. They do smell a lot less and I think that is due largely to the fact that they barely drink any water (less pee = less smell). Although, I don't ever recall smelling a strong poop smell either.

I personally love the fact that they can tolerate some really high temps. Living in the deep south it gets quite hot to say the least. However, I highly doubt I will switch to them as my primary food source. Once my girls hit about 700 grams I don't want to have to throw multiple ASFs in there. Too much work. I like to throw one prey item in, move to the next tub and come back moments later to write down what they ate. Having do repeat this multiple times would be a poor use of my time.

As far as prey imprinting goes I don't think its a huge problem. I feed rats, mice, and hopefully ASFs soon. I do this throughout their life and I think variety is great. Now if I were to sell any offspring I would be certain it was eating either rats or mice and the buyer would be aware of which.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dacalio View Post
    I have yet to produce my first litter of ASFs but I do have about 10 females ready to pop. They do smell a lot less and I think that is due largely to the fact that they barely drink any water (less pee = less smell). Although, I don't ever recall smelling a strong poop smell either.

I personally love the fact that they can tolerate some really high temps. Living in the deep south it gets quite hot to say the least. However, I highly doubt I will switch to them as my primary food source. Once my girls hit about 700 grams I don't want to have to throw multiple ASFs in there. Too much work. I like to throw one prey item in, move to the next tub and come back moments later to write down what they ate. Having do repeat this multiple times would be a poor use of my time.

As far as prey imprinting goes I don't think its a huge problem. I feed rats, mice, and hopefully ASFs soon. I do this throughout their life and I think variety is great. Now if I were to sell any offspring I would be certain it was eating either rats or mice and the buyer would be aware of which.
    Asfs get as large as a small rat...I would be VERY surprised if she takes more than one.

Thanks

They do but how long does it take them to get there? I don't want to keep tons and tons of ASFs in grow out tubs. If you have ever studied the economics behind farming animals it is not efficient to raise animals to adulthood to slaughter. All those chickens in the store are juveniles. The meat to feed ratio takes a nose dive after some point.

From what I understand there is a good chance they could start fighting when kept in large groups to adulthood. Although, I am new to them so I have yet to discover this on my own.

Also, my 1500-2000 gram girls like a bit larger than small rats and could easily down 2 or 3 adult ASFs.

Registered User Chandler reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

I have been using them for close to 3 years with my colubrids and don't have any major issues, they switch back and forth well.

During the summer it is nice to have something that produces so well, the regular rats just don't like the summer so I supplement with them and honestly I hate the smell from mice so I only keep one colony going.

I do however have 2 bp's that will not come off of them, they were picky sporadic feeders to begin with so it wasn't shocking to me that they will not go back...

Nice to have around for crappy feeding hatchlings when needed but I don't see my diamond or bloods settling in for a meal of 20 sub-adult ASF's.
    Jeff Chandler

Myspace

Thanks

They do but how long does it take them to get there? I don't want to keep tons and tons of ASFs in grow out tubs. If you have ever studied the economics behind farming animals it is not efficient to raise animals to adulthood to slaughter. All those chickens in the store are juveniles. The meat to feed ratio takes a nose dive after some point.

From what I understand there is a good chance they could start fighting when kept in large groups to adulthood. Although, I am new to them so I have yet to discover this on my own.

Also, my 1500-2000 gram girls like a bit larger than small rats and could easily down 2 or 3 adult ASFs.
    From my colony, it has taken a month after weaning for males to reach a very good size comparable to regular rats. I think all my males are now about 90 grams. The females are much smaller, and I dont expect them to get large until they've had their first litter.

Thanks

Hey Chandler? how well do your ASFs get along when housed in grow out tubs?

Thanks, David

Thanks

Hey Chandler? how well do your ASFs get along when housed in grow out tubs?

Thanks, David
    If mine is any measure, they have all been doing fine in grow out tubs. I try to keep it light, so I have 4 grow up tubs for 2 breeder groups. The boys all get along great, females are a little more high strung, but so far they are happy little ratties.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast