Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,797

2 members and 2,795 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Selective Breeding and the Market

Good topic, Rich!

I know that I was very selective in my foundation animals of just normal females - and just as selective in adding my morphs (can I say how I can't wait for Daytona to bring home my enchi girl????? LOL)

Anyway, I digress - I've had the pleasure of meeting Albey at a local show here, and even his super pastel two years ago just blew me away (was that the same one that someone just bought, Albey?) And I've been a huge fan of his pewters - it's been tough for ME to find any that even compare to his.

There are some benefits to having a smaller collection, in that it made me very discerning about what animals I chose to add.

My possible het clown clutch (although normal in appearance) is the clutch that I feel best shows off the reward of choosing carefully who I paired Oliver with. I LOVE how they look, and I am hopeful that their good looks pass on one day to future clowns.

I'm rambling, but I embrace selective breeding whole heartedly. I've been planning my next season's pairings for the past six months in my head, and now it's time to start charting them on paper and who I want to pair with who to try to enhance different looks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

I think selective breeding goes hand in hand with quality animals and good reputations.

I have certain snakes in my collection that are only for certain projects.

Last year I produced some pastels that were not up to my standards so I sold them all and the dad that produced them. I dont keep a huge collection so to me if it is not a great example it doesnt stay here or get bred.

When people post how low a price they found my thoughts are "I wouldnt want that dog in my collection just because he's cheap"
    Been there done that.

Nice animals will always be priced higher, as most things you get what you pay for and you are also paying(hopefully) for integrity.
    Respectable breeders will give you honest and correct info of the animal you are inquiring. Selective breeding is part of what you should be looking for

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Wonderful Topic!

Selective breeding is flat out fantastic and Albey's pastel is a prime example. Ever see his geckos? Yep same super selective high quality breeding practices there too. He's a great example.

First off, when it comes to ball pythons one thing I'm noticing seems to be move away from the darker morphs. I'm here to tell you that one of the keys to the brightest eye blinding combos you'll ever see will be produced using high quality cinnies and black pastels along with other genetically darker animals.

Think about it for a bit. The real key to brighter is going to be combos with darker morphs.

Just imagine a lavender black pastel. The black of the black pastel would convert to the deepest richest lavender out there. With super contrast that would require dark sunglasses.to keep from burning your retinas. Cool stuff these Bp's

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Suttles View Post
    Wonderful Topic!

Selective breeding is flat out fantastic and Albey's pastel is a prime example. Ever see his geckos? Yep same super selective high quality breeding practices there too. He's a great example.

First off, when it comes to ball pythons one thing I'm noticing seems to be move away from the darker morphs. I'm here to tell you that one of the keys to the brightest eye blinding combos you'll ever see will be produced using high quality cinnies and black pastels along with other genetically darker animals.

Think about it for a bit. The real key to brighter is going to be combos with darker morphs.

Just imagine a lavender black pastel. The black of the black pastel would convert to the deepest richest lavender out there. With super contrast that would require dark sunglasses.to keep from burning your retinas. Cool stuff these Bp's

i was thinking more along the lines of super sable lavender albino

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12