Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,174

0 members and 3,174 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Some questions for Burm keepers

So, I've been thinking about getting a male Burm, and wanted some insight from the people that already have them. I have a enclosure to put it in, and bigger and bigger ones to put it in until I finally have to build it one (which wont be too hard), so its not really about the enclosures.

But I'm really curious about how fast they grow. I have heard people say that theirs have reched almost 12ft by their first year, and others say ony aout 4ft (which from what I've read, is REALLY small), but I want some of your experience on how fast yours have grown and all of that.

Also, I know with most snakes it stresses them out a lot of you handle them too much, but most say to handle burms more than your average snake, because of how big they will get.

Also, just anything random that you want to throw in that you think will help. All advice/opinions are greatly appreciated Thanks!
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    1.0 Harliquin Great Dane, Gambit
    0.2 Cats, Mojo-Jojo and Rebel
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

Re: Some questions for Burm keepers

I once heard a breeder saying that they would get about 8 feet in the first year.
    Mike Schultz
    Outback Reptiles
    mike@outbackreptiles.com
    703-365-2262

Thanks

I see. Yea, the whole size thing doesnt bother me, just curious on what to exspect also, I was just thinking about it, what do you guys feed your burms when they are full gorn, and where do you get/order it from? Assuming your burm is 10-20ft long and way out of the rat stage. I know bunnies are good, but when the snake does get to 20ft it just seems like it would need more than a rabbit.
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

If you are getting a male, I think you wont have to worry too much about it getting to 20ft. They average out at 12ft and exceptionally large males can occassionally reach 15-16ft.

Rabbits small up to extra large should suffice for a male burm for it's whole adult life, however in answer to your question, a local dealer to me used to feed his 19ft female on young pigs that he bought from a local abbatoir.

Banned
    Thanks

Well, you can't really say how big the animal will get within the first year, or all together. It depends on a lot of factors. Food intake, background genetics, etc. Some you could pound with food and have them only grow to 6 foot in their first year. Others may hit 12'. It all depends on the individual snake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robfosters View Post
    If you are getting a male, I think you wont have to worry too much about it getting to 20ft. They average out at 12ft and exceptionally large males can occassionally reach 15-16ft.

Rabbits small up to extra large should suffice for a male burm for it's whole adult life, however in answer to your question, a local dealer to me used to feed his 19ft female on young pigs that he bought from a local abbatoir.
    I think Goats are common for larger Burms, Condas and Retics too.
    0.1 JCP "Zoot"
    0.1 Greyband Kingsnake "Tansy"
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa "Rio"
    0.1 South Florida Kingsnake "Cromwell"
    0.0.2 Crested Geckos "Duck and Drake (named by my 3 year old)"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
    Well, you can't really say how big the animal will get within the first year, or all together. It depends on a lot of factors. Food intake, background genetics, etc. Some you could pound with food and have them only grow to 6 foot in their first year. Others may hit 12'. It all depends on the individual snake
    Oh yes, I know- I was just asking how big people individual snakes have grown within a year. As I had said before, I've heard of them verying a lot.

Yea, the reason I got a male was because they usualy stay a bit smaller than the females, so if I really like having the burm (not to say that if their not 'my thing' like balls are that will get rid of it, because I wont), then I will be better prepared for a female when it comes to handling and everything. But who knows, I will probaby just stick with this guy for a good few years before getting another.

And thanks for the advice on food- I had head of pigs before, of course I dont know where to get any around me. Bunnies will be the easiest, aside from rats. But I've never heard of goats before- that would be interesting to see!
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow

Thanks

Our burm was 4 when we got him and @ 9', quite small for his age, but he had been kept on a maintenance diet to stay small, not starvation, but definitely not a lot of food.

He's been with us...a year and a half I think?...and has put on @ 7-10lbs of weight and is nearly 12'.

We've fed him one F/T pig, but he refused our second try...but he's quite happy with bunnies, both pre-killed and F/T. =) Mmm, fuzzies. =)
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cassandra View Post
    Our burm was 4 when we got him and @ 9', quite small for his age, but he had been kept on a maintenance diet to stay small, not starvation, but definitely not a lot of food.

He's been with us...a year and a half I think?...and has put on @ 7-10lbs of weight and is nearly 12'.

We've fed him one F/T pig, but he refused our second try...but he's quite happy with bunnies, both pre-killed and F/T. =) Mmm, fuzzies. =)
    I don't understand how one would go about thawing something as large as a pig.. D:
    A bath tub maybe?
    Ugh I wouldn't want to bathe in that ever again.

I know this is irrelevant to the original question, but I was wondering what type of burm you would be getting? Are you looking at morphs? (I've heard they are cheaper than ball morphs by far)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    I don't understand how one would go about thawing something as large as a pig.. D:
    A bath tub maybe?
    Ugh I wouldn't want to bathe in that ever again.
    It was a piglet, so just the sink...=)

It's just meat. *shrug*
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast