Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,497

1 members and 2,496 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Where do I sign-up for the bite club?

Well I suppose it was just a matter of time. But it really caught me off-guard and scared the living daylights out of me.

I"m not a real big fan of the term "rescue" but I suppose you could call this one a double rescue. The Craig's List ad said five year old female BP and cage $200.00. I brought my own pillow case, and when I saw the 4'X10' screen cage in the kitchen next to the dryer, I thought, oh my, I'm going to need a bigger sack!!! So the boyfriend opens the cage door and steps in and comes out with a tiny little BP. I asked if he was joking and he says no, why? (blink blink) Then his girlfriend comes in with the two little kids and says yup we got her five years ago at PetCo (hence the double rescue reference). I told her that I had a seven month old fermale BP at home that was quite a bit larger than her FIVE YEAR OLD bp! Really??? she says. How big do they Get? She said she had fed the snake a mouse almost every month just like the pet store told her to do. When I questioned her she admitted that she had missed months regularly.

Then she grabs the snake by the head to show me the scar where the cat "got " her, and the snake doesn't even flinch. Of course she still had her eyecaps on from what looked like every shed she ever had. I don't think the snake had ever actually seen anything before. The girl goes on to tell me how the kids like to play catch with the snake and dress her up in Barbie Doll clothes!!!!

So fast forward about five rats, a great shed (eyecaps and all), and about a month later. I reach in to take her out and BANG. WOW, I had no idea how frightning that could be. Heck a month ago this poor snake was a frisbie. I did everything wrong. I pulled away VERY quickly, and said a dirty word, and closed her enclosure. Then she just sat there looking at me as if to say "go ahead stupid, try it again.

Well I feel like a prize idiot now for offering advice to others about this same topic when it turns out I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Jenn; 07-09-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks

Re: Where do I sign-up for the bite club?

Dont feel bad, Ive been bit a lot, it doesnt hurt it may draw a drop or two of blood... Just be glad the snake is in good hands now, a screen cage next to the dryer does not sound like a warm humid enviornment suitable for a ball python...

Hey maybe after not being fed for so long its just looking for food lol....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

That's what I'm telling myself, even though it was clearly a defensive strike.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
    That's what I'm telling myself, even though it was clearly a defensive strike.
    I guess everyone has to get tagged sooner or later....I just hope mine is later...much later

Thanks

yea i kinda felt the same way my new female tagged me the other day it was a shock but it doesn't hurt just a shock just put it behind you and watch her next time you look in watch her make sure she knows your there so you don't give her a little shock

Thanks

First, I hafta say that I was horrified reading this story. The ignorance some people can live in will never cease to amaze me.
    I'm glad you got that poor snakie to a more comfortable, stable home.

About the biting... I feel your pain! My neighbor and I just bought several babies from a 'feed and seed' store, where they were brought in by a customer who just needed to get rid of them. (Thankfully they don't normally sell reptiles!)
    Anyway, we've named the largest one Nibbler, because he's
    always trying to take someone's face off!
    When he senses someone around him, he goes into defensive mode, and strikes wildly at anything near him.
    And yes, he's tagged me several times. The first time he got me, I actually dropped him, the poor guy. It scared me more than anything. I've since added tons of wadded up paper balls
    to his tank, and he's been moved to a nice, dark closet in
    hopes of calming him down a little.

Aside from helping him feel more secure, and not smelling like food when I handle him (on feeding days), there's really
    not much else to do, right?

(sorry if this seems like hi-jacking!)
    Loki Kali
    Merlin

Thanks

honestly the snake still doesn't trust humans sweetie what do you expect!? what an absolute NIGHTMARE situation that is... it will DEFINITELY learn to trust you (unless it's just a bratty snake) but imagine... snake as a frisbee? like oh em gee... never being fed? yikes... maybe she is still hungry?

i got bopped on the nose for pickin up my rescue while he was in blue. angry lil bop, but pretty much harmless. one... UNO. ONE TINY dot of blood. nothing. it wasn't like he was tryna eat me maybe yer snake just needed some space....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

You took a snake that was completely disengaged from her environment and made her attentive enough to strike out within the limited range of communication she has.

I would congratulate yourself daily for that.

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

wow poor little snake good thing you took her in... I responded to a craigslist add for a ball python and king snake for adoption I told them I could take the ball and they said they could not seperate them as they lived together and are friends .... wow I did not know what to say to that

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thank you all for your kind replies. And Bruce, that was such a wonderful thing to hear. I'm happy this animal now has the chance to be a snake. I guess I should be proud that after five years of abuse the first person this snake ever bit was me. I had to handle all my other snakes right away, just to be sure. But I'm still afraid of her.

Do you guys think I should just reach in and take the bite, and take her out, or just continue to let her settle in some more? Also, I know it doesn't hurt too much but I'm afraid I may drop or injure her because of my own fear now. Gloves maybe????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast