Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,210

0 members and 3,210 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Keeping rats in a garage

I'm in SoCal and keep the rodents in the garage. These days it's been hot, I've got 3 rotating fans blowing on them. They're hot, but no one's died yet.
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

I wouldn't do it, because im in Texas, and have recorded 112 degrees in my garage, I don't think that fans would keep my rats cool enough. TN is cooler, but still hot, as you know. I wouldn't risk it. Good luck!!

Tyree, how much power does that window unit suck? We have one in my Dads fly tying shed, but he doesn't tie flies anymore, and I would like to turn it into a snake room, but there worried about it sucking power.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stangs13 View Post
    I wouldn't do it, because im in Texas, and have recorded 112 degrees in my garage, I don't think that fans would keep my rats cool enough. TN is cooler, but still hot, as you know. I wouldn't risk it. Good luck!!

Tyree, how much power does that window unit suck? We have one in my Dads fly tying shed, but he doesn't tie flies anymore, and I would like to turn it into a snake room, but there worried about it sucking power.

what do you mean by sucking power?
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Thanks

Thanks for all of the replies....I am probably just going them in the snake room for now until the weather cools off

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stangs13 View Post
    If it is an old AC unit, it probably does use a lot of power. Especially with the cost of power going up with the gas prices, you might save money buying a new AC unit that is more efficient.
    Casey

Thanks

I used to keep rat's in the garage, after a while the wife put the stops to it LOL
    Jim

BiteFight - Check It Out
    http://s3.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=177328

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reediculous View Post
    just put a ac unit in my shed..............96 bucks at home depot! cools that place right off!

PS. i have one ac unit in my house......and its in the living room. I don't have one in the bed room, and when i told my better half, that this one was for the RATZ!
    Oh I bet she was REAL impressed there Tyree. I'm amazed you aren't bunking out in the garage with the ratties!

Quote Originally Posted by lord jackel View Post
    I live in Indiana (so similar weather) and have my rats in the garage.

I use 2 fans for the summer and a space heater for the winter...so far far no issues. I use a automatic watering system for racks and during the really hot weeks (a couple in August usually) I add ice to the water bucket to help the rats cool down internally...does wonders.

Hope this helps.
    Another good idea in hot weather conditions for rats is to offer them frozen green peas. It's like rat icecream for them and a great hot weather treat that helps them out when the room is a bit warm.

One thing with a garage setup you have to think about is your neighbours. If you live in a sub-division where anyone walking by can see into an open garage you might end up with complaints. If a rat escapes, in an open garage, you will definitely have some less than happy neighbours. Also some kid wandering by might let your rats loose for a prank. Just a things to think about in this situation to avoid problems down the road.
    ~~Joanna~~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Oh I bet she was REAL impressed there Tyree. I'm amazed you aren't bunking out in the garage with the ratties!
    Either that or she'd be the one in the garage with the AC, and leave him in the hot sticky stuffy uncomfortable bedroom with no AC!
    Casey

Thanks

Ty,

Keep an eye on the AC unit. I had one in my rat room and it gets clogged up easily with all the "stuff" floating around in the air. It will either clog the filter and will have to work harder to cool (raising your electric bill a lot) or it will kill the unit pretty quickly. Luckily in the new place I have a large basement which is always cool and the only thing I use is a window exhaust fan to get rid of the smell, which it does well.

J

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12