Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,144

3 members and 3,141 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Registered User Abby_The_Python's Avatar
    Thanks

Heating for Tubs!

Is the Repti-Med under tank pads the best way to heat under a 40 qt tub?

Do I need to of them for each Tub for the Cold & Hot side?

Do I need rheostat temp guages w/dial for each one of them also?

Thanks I am soldering airholes as we speak!

p.s. (i bought 4 digital hygromters just in case)

p.s.s. (and got more 2 baby bps for only $29 at petco tonite!) $50 off what a deal!

Thanks

Re: Heating for Tubs!

Ugh, petstore bps. I don't trust any petstore for them. :[

Flexwatt. Usually the best bet with bins and you can be pretty safe to say that most bin and rack units probably use them. ;]
    You have to get a rheostat or preferably a thermostat in order to use them though, they just get too hot.

You could probably use one as a non-permanent solution, I don't really know. I've never used one on a bin and haven't heard it really mentioned before. I would assume you probably still need at least a rheostat for it though.

Thanks

okay, there is not a BEST in heating tubs as long as they can mantain the right temps

flexwatt is what is most used

and no you do not need two heating pads unless your room is too cold or to hot for the right cool side temp

Thanks

You only need two heating sources when your room temps are too low to maintain a proper cool side...like here. Luckily for me, though, the cool side thermostat doesn't come on much in summer.

As for single tubs, the zoomed pad is just fine to heat them. Just make sure you have a t-stat to control it! Rheostats are a waste of money, and if you're going to spend the $20-30 spend it on a ZooMed ReptiTemp 500R stat instead...unless of course you have the money to get a GOOD stat right off (which you should try and do).
    Just use foil tape to tape the pad(with the paper still on the adhesive) to the bottom of one side of the tub like this:

The same would be done with Flexwatt, then you just hook it to the t-stat and let it run a day or two with the substrate to make sure temps are stable.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

How did you get them so cheap from Petco?
    "Love Your Snake Like You'd Love The Mice You Are Feeding It, Wait Never mind, Just Love Your Snake"

Thanks

Thanks for the pic with the foil, photos always help.

I have no idea why they are so cheap, the $79.99 tag is still on the tank, but with a "Petco Card it said $29 right on the tank. Luckily i had a card on my keychain. THere is still 7 or 8 babies left. (Appleton WI store)

I have never seen them marked down so much or at all before so I had to buy 2 that looked unique...i love normals that stand out...lol

Thanks

I worked at a pet store... and that sounds fishy.

Just make sure you keep the new ones WELL away from your other snake, keep the setup for them very simple with paper towel or newsprint as substrate, and keep a close eye on them.

Oh, and you're welcome for the picture. I'm a visual learner so I like giving a hand to others.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

i am super tempted to get more, but i will be up all night getting these tubs ready, good thing i bought an over abundance of hides, substrate & foilage that i never used when i got my 1st in around thankgiving.

The two i chose appeared very healthy & just shed, i would of bought one of them even if it was the regular $80. Think i will name one Sinister

Thanks

I use a Zoomed UTH on my 32 qrt. steralite tub and works like a charm. Have it hooked to a Herpstat and the basking temps are always right around 92.3-93.4. I also have a 60watt infared bulb about a foot away shining through the side of the tub on the coolerside. coolside is at 80, and warmside is at 86, and i already mentioned my basking spot.

Thanks

what size zoomed UTH would you use with a 32 qt tub? Also I noticed they have a rainforest and a desert UTH. Does it matter which one you use if you have it monitored with a thermostat?

I saw on the baby python setup sticky that they covered the bottom of the tank with foil to spread the heat and didn't put the UTH on the tank, just set it underneath it. Would this work for tubs as well? Thanks, I am also setting up my first tub in hopes of picking up another snake soon.