Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,268

0 members and 3,268 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: How Early Can you Cut Eggs

Quote Originally Posted by muddoc View Post
    Sean,
    did that clutch have any extremes while incubating(i.e. too wet, too hot, too cold)? I ask that becasue extremes in incubation or "egg stress" have been known to create extreme looking snakes that aren't truly genetic(I believe that is what happened to the Halo clutch that Cue had a couple years ago). Judging from the developement of those snakes, I would say that they died at around day 32 - 34. Were the eggs slightly firm at all when you cut them? I ask that also, to estimate when the eggs went bad.

I am not implying that you not try the breeding again next year, because there may be something going on with the female, but I always like to try and figure out exactly what is going on, especially with eggs.
    Thanks Tim for the reply and always glad for some insight.

The eggs were firm and "popped" when I cut them (fluid squirting out). Your guess on age is probably about right...since they started going bad (significant outward signs) at day 40 or so...so within a week of when you think they died.

As for extremes...due to a heat wave the incubator got up to 90 degrees for about 3-4 days (3 degrees higher than normal) about a month ago. As far as moisture they have been fine 99% till yesterday when they were "dripping" water (assume from the heat in the egg box caused from the death)...I haven't lost any other eggs and none show signs of issues (4 other clutches).

The Het Albino clutch we were talking about is 10 days older and all the kids are fine (though not out of the egg yet)

Thoughts?
    Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Sean,
    90 degrees shouldn't be a problem at all. I actually have some eggs in the bator that are cooking at 91 now(mostly due to heat pockets in the big bator. As far as the other info you gave, I would definitely say that they have been dead for a while, and were probably beyond saving at any point. Sometimes they just go bad (maybe it is weak snakes). The dripping water was probably due to the elevated temps in the box from the eggs giving off heat.

I can't wait to see that breeding again next year. I wish I could weigh in on the spectre thing, but I haven't really followed them, and haven't study any pics. Good luck with that girl next year.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

Awww...sorry for the recent developments. (;

Here's hoping that you have better luck next season (and please try the girl again..I would be very interested to know what she laid)

"Price has very little to do with QUALITY. Quality stands on its own merit and doesn't need a hefty price tag to prove its worth."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Sean, we cut at day 52. However with one clutch I somehow miscounted my days and cut at day 45. I can tell you I was totally freaked, ended up on the phone with Kara, Tim and Robin completely sure I'd gone and killed the hatchlings with my stupidity.

Said hatchlings are sitting in their hatchling boxes as I type this. Just fine, eating me out of house and home and perfectly healthy. Granted they all sat in those eggs that extra 7 days and didn't start coming out till day 53 but they all did quite fine being cut 7 days earlier than I'd planned.

P.S. I know have the cut date written on each hatching box so I never miscount again. Thanks for that suggestion Tim!
    So what did you do to keep them alive?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

How Early Can you Cut Eggs

This thread is 5 years old lol
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12