Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,322

5 members and 3,317 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: When are they considered smalls?

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    We wean at 4 weeks of age. I call them weans (or weanlings) at that point. About a week to 2 weeks post weaning I called them smalls. The males of course grow generally bigger and faster than their female littermates so I usually feed them off first to avoid them over-growing our size needs. I haven't a clue quite honestly what they weigh. I just go by knowing our snakes and having a fairly decent "eye" for appropriate feeder size. Depending on the size of the litter, the quality of the mothering they got, the genetics, etc. you can see quite a lot of variance if you go purely by age.
    Great post jo! I only have one(maybe a cornsnake too) ball on small rats, so I wont be able to feed them all off fast enough anyway. I am getting more balls in a few weeks, and it wont be long till they will all need smalls.

Thanks

Lol I don't know if I just have fat rats, but my rats are generally 45-55g maybe 3-4 days after they open their eyes, so ill round and say 3 weeks.

They are generally mediums 80-100g by 4-5weeks and by then they are usually fed off. Very rare I have to euthanize.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stangs13 View Post
    Then what do you call a weanling? Cause that is what I age I weaned at. I will be making a trip to the local walmart for euthanasia material! i will have to make a thread of my Co2 chamber. I personal think that balls should be fed on something a little bigger than smalls. I guess I just am being an ignorant and worrying teenager..lol. But I listen to my elders.
    I wean my rats at 3 weeks old, if I have any runts they get to stay with mom one more week.

Usually my 4 weeks old rats are about 80/85 grams.

I like to feed smaller preys (4 weeks old) it has work very well for me, the only time I have fed differently was in september/october last year right before breeding season and I will do so again prior to each breeding season.

Bottom line feed what works, you know YOUR animals the best.
    Deborah Stewart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12