Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,689

2 members and 2,687 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RHP's

Thanks

Re: RHP's

I use a Herpstat Pro. Which has 4 probes. Its 4 proportional thermostats in 1.

For the RHP's they both get theyre own probe. Then the hot side flexwatt is wired so both cages have just 1 plug (parallel). Same as the cool side.

And then i just put the other 2 probes on one of the cages. It controls that piece of flexwatt. And since its wired into the other, it heats that one up too.

Most times the RHP is fine stand alone. I just keep the flexwatt on the bottom of the cages to keep it from getting too cool. Just for peace of mind. They hardly ever turn on.

Thanks

Here's some pictures:

This one shows the probe to the left of the stupid flash glare:

This is the picture of the 80 watt RHP in my 2x3x1 RBI cage:

Don't know what this is showing cause the darn thumbnail is so little!!

Here's Zelda scooted away from the RHP but still occupying the middle level:

The temps are all over the place anywhere in the cage that I spot with the temp gun. No lower than 75F and up to 92F. Remember, these are my boas; not my balls

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

What do you have to set your thermostat at?

Looks like a sweet setup! Pampered little boa!!

Thanks for the pictures!!!

Thanks

I have one Helix running all three cages and it is set at 88F
    Pampered boas? You betcha!!
    Those girls have teeth!!!!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by starmom View Post
    Here's some pictures:

This is the picture of the 80 watt RHP in my 2x3x1 RBI cage:

The temps are all over the place anywhere in the cage that I spot with the temp gun. No lower than 75F and up to 92F. Remember, these are my boas; not my balls
    So you have 2/3 of your cage covered by RHP? I guess I was hoping for a little more defined temp gradient than "temps are all over the place anywhere in the cage". I don't mean to criticize your setup though...it looks very nice and I sure it works equally as nice. Just trying to figure out what is best for me.
    My Daughters name all the animals...

0.1 BP - Normal (Seviper)
    0.1 RTB - Normal BCI (Ekans)
    0.0.1 GTP - Merauke (Carnivine)
    0.1 RTB - Suriname BCC (Sand Ma'am...a.k.a. Sandy)
    0.1 RTB - Anery BCI (Onix)

Thanks

Here's the measurements of the RHP's I purchased from Rich at RBI: 12.5"x22.5x1.75. I needed to go with the 80 watt ones due to the weather conditions here in central Oregon. Someone living in a more moderate zone would purchase the smaller one. When I get the AP T20's, I'll go with the next size up.
    Temps: Ambient= 83F; under the hide= 83.8; on the middle level toward the heat panel= 89.9; on the middle level away from the heat panel= 81.9; on the floor= 77.1-87.9 depending where I shoot the gun in relation to the heat panel.
    You're making me work!!!!

~~McKinsey~~

Thanks

Here's the measurements of the RHP's I purchased from Rich at RBI: 12.5"x22.5x1.75. I needed to go with the 80 watt ones due to the weather conditions here in central Oregon. Someone living in a more moderate zone would purchase the smaller one. When I get the AP T20's, I'll go with the next size up.
    Temps: Ambient= 83F; under the hide= 83.8; on the middle level toward the heat panel= 89.9; on the middle level away from the heat panel= 81.9; on the floor= 77.1-87.9 depending where I shoot the gun in relation to the heat panel.
    You're making me work!!!!
    Well thank you so much for the help. I think I will up going with a RHP. It makes perfect sense to me now. Instead of a hot side and a cold side, they can climb or enter a hide to find the temp that they want to be at.

Thanks

Totally correct.
    This is why I'm so loving the RHP's: They mimic the sun and allow for a much more diverse temp gradient for the snake to really choose what will be most beneficial to them at any given time during their day or night.
    This is also the reason why I want to change over the balls who are in cages and why I am working hard to get all of my balls into cages (the ones who are big enough!)
    I LOVE RHP's!!!!!!!!

~~McKinsey~~

Thanks

Totally correct.
    This is why I'm so loving the RHP's: They mimic the sun and allow for a much more diverse temp gradient for the snake to really choose what will be most beneficial to them at any given time during their day or night.
    This is also the reason why I want to change over the balls who are in cages and why I am working hard to get all of my balls into cages (the ones who are big enough!)
    I LOVE RHP's!!!!!!!!
    Well I'm not so sure about RHP's for BP's. They will choose to be cold in their hide rather than come out for heat. Maybe the warm side hide would be warm enough though. Hmmm

Starmom, Given that your RHP is so big in comparison to your cage, does your thermostat show the % power output? I am wondering how much of the 80W you are actually using.
    Last edited by td30; 07-07-2008 at 01:24 AM.

Thanks

There is that little red light that kind of blinkers a little bit when the panels are heating up. I haven't noticed it doing it very much. I will need to say, however, that RBI cages are the bomb-diggity for stabilizing temps and holding in heat and humidity

I have a Helix hooked up to them so there is no stats for usage. Hmmm, I also have a Herpstat II; I'll RTFM and see if that unit tells this information!

Regarding ball pythons: I figure that their sleeping burrows are cooler than outside temps (given that they are away from the sun) and then they come out at night to hunt and dance under the moon (or whatever ) It is my thought that the RHP warms as the sun and the hide cools as the burrow does.

My snakes come out at night, and while I have never caught them dancing under the moon, they do hang out outside of their hides. I'm uncertain as to what a difference might be and am willing to entertain the notion that flex watt might not be the only good thing.

A conversation regarding RHP's and ball pythons would be educational, but at this point, I have none under the RHP. That will happen when my boas move up to their larger digs and the balls move into the RHP cages.... Stay tuned

~~McKinsey~~

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast